Chapter 1.2

The next few hours were a blur to Sabrina. Ford swept her through room after room full of excited, ecstatic people, most of whom seemed to have already heard of her appointment as the Inheritor's sponsor and wanted to congratulate her and hear a full description of the infant. At some point he must have convinced her to go with him to Bathir, his own principality; she fell asleep in the flyer, lulled by the comfortable seat and the velvet darkness through which they sped. She woke to find Ford gently shaking her shoulder. "Come on, Sabrina. One more hour, and then I promise you a nice soft bed. We'll go back up to Dansestari in the morning and pick up where we left off."

"How long will the party last?" she yawned.

Ford grinned. "At least a week. And here you are falling asleep in the first twelve hours."

"I should know better than to party with a Miahn crowd," Sabrina sighed, letting him pull her to her feet. "Why are we here exactly?"

"To celebrate with my constituents," he replied. "They're breaking out the Prince's Reserve in the oldest, rarest vintages, and we're going to toast my little sister and her august sponsor."

"And your parents, I hope," Sabrina put in dryly as she took his arm. They were using the private roof entrance to the palace at Bathir, so they had a few moments of peace and quiet while they made their way to the public rooms at the front of the palace. The main corridor ended at a wide landing atop the wide curving staircase in the grand hall, and Ford and Sabrina paused there to look at the crowd gathered below.

A cheer went up from the people at the hall's entrance, who had the best view of the landing; it quickly escalated into a roaring welcome as the pair descended the staircase. Near the bottom, the Steward of Bathir came forward with two ornately carved silver goblets, encrusted with watergems, and handed them to Ford. He gave the second one to Sabrina, and the crowd quieted expectantly.

"Thank you for your welcome," Ford called out cheerfully. "I know you've all heard the good news by now, but let me officially inform you that the Guardian was safely delivered of the Inheritor a few hours ago. Her name is Seurea Lyssara ya Yanklozhquar nar Miahn. And our cousin, my honored guest tonight, has been chosen as her sponsor."

There was a round of enthusiastic applause. Sabrina's friendship with Ford meant that she spent more time at Bathir than any other place outside Dansestari, and the principality's citizens returned her preference by regarding her almost as one of their own. Finally the crowd quieted again, and Sabrina took a deep breath and tried to marshal her thoughts. "I know you all share my joy at the continuation of the line of Miah's inheritors," she said. "It's personally gratifying to me because of the privilege I've had of knowing the current Guardian and her consort through the years. I am...honored beyond words at having been chosen to be part of the new Inheritor's life, and I'll do my very best to serve her well."

She glanced at Ford, unsure of the protocol; he grinned at her briefly before turning back to the audience and raising his goblet. Sabrina and the others followed suit. "To the Inheritor!" he exclaimed.

"To the Inheritor!" came the enthusiastic response.

Ford and Sabrina turned back toward each other to clink their goblets together, smiling, as the audience did the same. There was a little pause while they looked at each other over the rim of their goblets, their gazes meeting in a private exchange; then suddenly the spell was broken and they were laughing at the unexpectedly potent taste of the aged wine.

"Powerful stuff!" Sabrina shouted over the din of the crowd. "How old is it?"

"Who knows?" Ford replied. "It tastes about as old as Miah herself! Enjoy it; it'll all be gone by the end of the night!"

Sabrina drank the rest of the rich, dark wine, enjoying the buzz as it went straight to her head. When Ford began descending the last few steps to the main floor, Sabrina started to follow, but had a moment's dizziness and reached out to steady herself on his shoulder. He laughed up at her and grabbed her around the waist, pulling her down the steps with him. "No more wine for you!"

"Not without some food, at least," she agreed. She saw one of the principality's more loquacious mayors making a beeline for them and said, "I'll hit the buffet for us both."

Ford hardly had time to protest before he was engulfed by well-wishers and politicians, and Sabrina made her escape to the row of tables loaded with food. It took a very long time to fill a plate, hindered as she was by the need to converse pleasantly with everyone who crossed her path and to fend off offers of assistance from the palace staff. But at last she was back at Ford's side, holding up the plate for him to choose a snack as he listened to a rotund academician from the famous Academy at Bathir.

"And are there no more announcements tonight?" the professor was saying, giving Sabrina a knowing look that utterly confused her.

"What, an Inheritor isn't enough?" Ford laughed. "Go get some of this delicious food, Professor Ginyin, and enjoy yourself."

Ginyin moved off, and Ford and Sabrina formed a little huddle over their plate. "I'm famished!" Ford remarked, sounding surprised. "Thank you."

"What was that all about?"

"Oh, the usual rumors. You know."

"Which usual rumors?" she grinned.

"You know how it is. Every time a baby's born, everybody starts thinking everybody else should be doing it."

"Meaning, of course, that your people want a little Prince or Princess of Bathir?" Sabrina chuckled. "Poor Ford. That suitable wife just continues to elude you, doesn't she?"

"I'm afraid most of the people here don't seem to share that opinion," Ford grimaced.

"Oh? Is there a new entry in the Princess Sweepstakes?" Sabrina raised an eyebrow and looked around. "Who is she?"

Ford waited until she had her mouth full to reply, "You."

Sabrina choked, hating herself for the blush that warmed her cheeks as she looked at him. She made herself chew calmly and swallow, and then said, "There's really no response I can make to that without either offending your ego or sending you running for dear life, is there?"

Ford chuckled appreciatively. "So I suppose it's merely a question of which you'd find more amusing. Though, mind you, I might surprise you!"

Sabrina could only feel relieved when their conversation was interrupted by the Steward, who had a question for Ford, and she was able to turn and chat with the Dean of the Academy at Bathir.