Chapter 3.4

The descent seemed to take forever. Sabrina remembered more with every step exactly why she hated caves. Nothing good ever happened to her in a cave. No, wait, that wasn't quite true—some of her best times with Tassan had been in a cave. But even those moments had been shadowed by the threat of death, and that was what she associated with caves. Rayland had received his death blow in a cave. Scotty had, as well.

Ford liked caves, insofar as he'd ever given it any thought. Most Miahns, at least those lucky enough to have been to Giandrah to view the Great Crystal, associated feelings of security and wholeness with caverns afterward. Sabrina knew this in the strange, osmotic way she was beginning to know what Ford thought and felt about things. She wondered how much he was absorbing from her. Maybe he was better at filtering than she was.

"Not significantly," he said aloud. "I haven't had much more practice than you, after all. I can only do telepathy under extreme stress, or with rare individuals with whom I share an affinity." That would include you, he added silently, and she didn't know whether she was meant to hear that or not.

"Then I think it's time we both swear on the Trees not to talk about this experience, or at least what we learn about each other, to anybody else, ever," Sabrina said, trying to sound as if she were joking.

"Your secrets are safe with me," Ford said. "Miah knows you're bound to pick up enough to get me in six kinds of trouble, without even trying."

"You're more lucid," Sabrina remarked, pausing to catch her breath. He wasn't leaning heavily on her anymore, but all this stair climbing, even downward, was exhausting. She had tried to keep up with her workouts on Praxatillus, but lately she'd been slacking off.

"Yes." But the thought didn't bring Ford the relief she expected. He seemed anxious about something, and not just the Reissians.

"What is it?"

"Nothing. I just..." He broke off as she gave him an exasperated look. "All right. I guess you can't feel it, but...there's a presence here. Or a lot of presences, I can't tell yet. It feels almost like the Great Crystal in some ways, and in other ways it couldn't be more different."

"Something embedded in the Pharon crystal you've absorbed," Sabrina guessed.

"Yes."

That can't be good, both of them thought. Then they smiled grimly at each other. Sabrina wondered fleetingly if she was beginning to think like Ford, or if he was beginning to think like her. Maybe they'd both end up somewhere in the middle.

Her wrist panel bleeped quietly. "Proximity alert," she murmured.

Ford nodded, and they resumed their downward climb. Sabrina tried to focus rationally on the situation at hand and not think about the awful things that happened to her in caves, and how Ford had Rayland's brilliant blue eyes. She remembered so clearly how those eyes had dimmed as Rayland struggled to push out his last words to her. She did not think she could bear the sight twice in a lifetime.

Ford's hand found hers and squeezed gently. "Stop that," he said.

"I can't help it," she sighed, flushing in embarrassment. "I hate caves. Bad things happen to me in caves. Especially caves with Reissians in them. I know from experience that me and a blaster are not a very good defense for anybody."

"History doesn't have to repeat itself, Sabrina." He ignored the premonitory shiver that ran through her. "Let go of it. There's enough bloody history surrounding us without our bringing any more of it in. Besides." He paused, his mouth setting in a grim line. "The Reissians may not be the biggest threat you face here. The presence in the crystal here...it's as you said. Seductive. If I...if I can't resist it any longer, if I threaten your safety in any way...promise me you'll stop me, Sabrina. Swear you'll put me down if necessary."