Chapter 8.4

"I don't see any other way," Mara said. "Khediva can't go into Reissian space, particularly space that is disrupted by Pharon crystal. I can't transport myself there for the same reason. An escape pod will get me there in one piece."

"It is the going there part I have concerns with," Tirqwin retorted. "You will not be functional in that environment, and you know it, Mara. You will only give the retrieval team another person to worry about."

"Someone must break the hold the Pharon crystal has on Niavar," Mara said. "Otherwise we will still be at risk for whatever Malvarak plans next. I am the only person who can do that."

"Then we'll all go," Scotty said.

"No." Mara folded her arms. "I need you outside the sphere of contamination, so that we have somewhere to escape to."

"You don't need me for that," Scotty persisted. "I'm going with you."

"This is not your responsibility," Mara snapped.

"Bullshit! The reason—the only reason—Ford is down there instead of off enjoying himself somewhere is the deal you made with Homeworld to save my life. You put your son at risk for me. I live with that every day. And if you think that I'm going to let you face the consequences by yourself, I wonder why you bothered to save me at all!"

Scotty's voice had risen to a near-shout, and his last words echoed slightly on the control deck. Mara folded her arms, but he refused to back down from her glare. Finally she sighed. "I agreed to that deal because I could not bear to lose any more of my family," she said softly. "That has not changed. To have Niavar and Sabrina at risk is more than enough; I will add no one else. Besides, Scotty, you are partly Wayfarer now. The crystal will affect you far worse than before. You will not be functional for very long, and you will be one more person for me to worry about. I cannot afford the burden."

"I could hold out longer than Tirqwin or Aurora," Scotty argued. "As you just got done pointing out, I sent a non-allied civilian from my home planet into this mess. I can't stand to have done that and not be willing to go myself!"

"Your willingness is established. I will not permit it," Mara said firmly.

"Mara," Tirqwin said, "think about what you risk. Think about our newborn daughter and what will happen to her if you become far enough out of phase with the Great Crystal."

Mara looked stricken. "I have thought about it," she said. "I would not wish the age acceleration on anyone, much less my own child. But I cannot sacrifice Niavar either." She bit her lip, then reached for Aurora's hand. "If the worst happens, I rely on you to guide Seuréa."

Aurora drew in a sharp breath, looking shaken. Mara continued, with a small smile, "You had best avail yourself of Scotty's help in the endeavor. He has been through it before."

Aurora swallowed hard. "You always have my best effort, Your Majesty."

"Mara," Tirqwin said, a note of despair under the sharp tone.

Mara looked at him silently for a moment, releasing Aurora's hand. Then she said, "You must all understand. This sort of thing is exactly why there is a Guardian in the first place—why there is a Great Crystal: to counter threats to the Miahn people and our allies. This is the greatest threat we have faced since the Xoentrols. I cannot refuse to deal with it to spare your feelings or because of my other responsibilities, much as I might like to."

"This is also exactly why Malvarak has done this," Tirqwin pointed out. "To draw you into a confrontation, one he thinks you will lose. We should not do what he expects us to!"

"How can a confrontation be avoided?" Mara demanded. "Do we simply allow our son to run amok in the galaxy, wielding this ancient and evil power under the direction of an insane man? How can I reconcile that with any of my commitments? I do not exist to defend myself, Tirqwin. I exist to serve the people of Praxatillus, Miahns everywhere, our allies, and the welfare of the galaxy at large. I am not my own woman, and you knew that when you met me. You taught it to me!"