Chapter 9.3

"There!" Wilmik pointed to the building in the distance. "That's it."

"Finally," the Emperor grumbled. "It took you long enough!"

"I don't know what's wrong with the suit," Wilmik said, easing down to sit on the grass. He was exhausted; he wasn't sure what was wrong with him exactly, but he seemed to be very weak despite the efforts of his companion to heal him. "It's like something's interfering with it. Do you need me to go the rest of the way, sir?"

"Yes. But you may rest for a moment."

"Thank you, sir." Wilmik closed his eyes and tried to put his scrambled thoughts together. He didn't know why he was having so much trouble orienting himself, but he couldn't remember exactly where he was or why he was there. He didn't know where the rest of his team was, and that worried him most of all. "Sir? Did you say we're going to meet up with my team?"

"All you have to do is escort me safely to the house, and then everything will be fine," the Emperor replied.

Wilmik frowned to himself as he tried to figure out whether that answered his question. Then he jumped as his suit let out a strangled bleat—apparently its systems were more messed up than he'd first thought. "Proximity alarm, sir. Lifesigns approaching. I can't tell what kind."

The Emperor turned a slow circle, scanning in every direction. Then his expression cleared. "Ah! You found her!"

"Yes, sir," one of the Reissians replied. There were two, one on either side of Sabrina.

The Emperor frowned at her, perplexed; she seemed different somehow. Perhaps it was her expression, or the way she stood, but she no longer seemed so afraid. "Why did you hit me?" he demanded.

Sabrina cast a critical eye over him, relieved to see that she hadn't done any real damage. Except, of course, to his pride, which might well be the most dangerous injury of all to this entity. "I'm sorry about that," she said. "I was confused. I didn't mean to hurt you." She paused, and when no reply seemed forthcoming, added, "I think I must have panicked."

He seemed confused by her response. "See that it doesn't happen again," he said finally. Then he turned back to the Reissians. "What is happening at the house?"

"We aren't sure, sir," one of them said. "There was a surge of energy, which Malvarak had predicted. But then there was just one instance of weapons fire, and nothing since. We're closing in now."

"Good. We'll come along." He gestured for them to release Sabrina, and she stifled a sigh of relief as she took a step away from the Reissians. She sidled over to Wilmik, who was staggering to his feet, and helped him steady himself.

"How are you?" she asked softly.

"I...I'm okay, I think, ma'am." He grimaced. "Do—do I know you?"

"I don't think so. What's your name?"

"Wilmik Lund. Special Forces. Have you seen my team, ma'am?"

"Some of them."

"Are they all right?"

"They'll be fine." Sabrina glanced at Ford, who was striding ahead of them. "I'm sure they'll find us soon."

"Good," Wilmik said. "I can't remember how we got here."

"Don't worry about it," Sabrina advised. "We're going home soon."

"Good," he sighed.

The house seemed to grow larger in front of them erratically, and it was a surprise when they realized they were almost there. Teams of Reissian soldiers were scattered in a loose circle around the house, which was dark and silent. Sabrina felt an odd tingle in the back of her mind, but when she looked around, she didn't see anything to account for it.