Chapter 10: Backlash

Tirqwin closed his eyes as Seuréa began to cry. His mind reached out for Khediva, and she sent him a rush of comforting warmth. The ground began to tremble, and he tried to remember what Shariara's Transference had been like. This seemed to be a more orderly process; they were not at war, and there were more Miahns available to assist. Mara's death did not seem to have been a cataclysmic event, perhaps because she was so far away when it happened, in a place that interfered with her ability to access the Crystal. His heart ached at the thought of his wife dying so far away, alone—for he did not believe that Sabrina and Scotty would have survived Mara. Niavar was not himself, and might never be again. Tirqwin was bone weary at the thought of the search and struggle ahead. He did not want this new life.

We will do what is necessary, as we have always done, Khediva reminded him. It could have been worse, Tirqwin. At least you were spared feeling the link sever.

But I would have gotten to say good-bye, he thought. He tried to remember what his last words to her had been. Something about not taking foolish risks. He hoped she had seen through the annoyance to the love behind his fear.

There was a pulse of light he could see even through his eyelids, and he opened them, blinking, as someone cried out. Seuréa's cries escalated into shrieks.

"Wait!" someone called. "This is not—"

The Crystal hummed with energy, causing everyone in the cavern to shield their faces as the ground tremors grew in intensity. Then it washed the far walls of the vast cavern with waves of light, coruscating from the uppermost points up to the distant ceiling. Just when Tirqwin thought he could stand no more of the relentless press of energy, it began to subside.

He could hear Seuréa growing hoarse as she screamed and moved toward the sound instinctively, just in time to see Imari faint. Leran and Selémahs caught her, and Aurora gently lifted Seuréa into her arms.

"What is happening?" Tirqwin demanded.

Kashmia wiped tears from her eyes with a tremulous smile. "Transference has ceased. It didn't happen. Mother is alive!"

Tirqwin stared at her in astonishment, afraid to believe. But as he looked around, he saw the joy on the faces of his children and the others. Khediva? He thought, at a loss.

A wave of unaccustomed emotion flooded their link. I think you got your miracle, Tirqwin.

——————————

"We've only got a few more minutes," Bendei said.

"Understood. I'll go get Lieutenant Devon. You work on cleanup," Danask said.

"Don't waste charges," Bendei warned her. "Get as big a heap together as you can before you blow it."

"Right. I'll start with the biggest chunk. I'm heading that way anyhow." Danask set off toward the crater behind the house, glancing back over her shoulder. Wilmik looked forlornly after her, having been firmly instructed to stay with their injured teammates. She waved to him, then began to run.

She had worried from the beginning that the body count on this mission would be mostly civilian. As she reached her destination, she could see she was partly right. Four bodies lay sprawled around the rim of the crater, as if something had exploded. Her suit was no longer giving her reliable data, but she didn't think they were all dead.

She reached the Queen first, relieved to see that she was still breathing. As she checked for a pulse, she heard someone approaching and brought her blaster to bear.

"I'm here—oh, shit!" Cynthia breathed, surveying the site. Her breath caught in her throat when she identified Sabrina's still form. "Jesus. I'm too late!"