Chapter 17.

The next morning Kie, Pope, JJ and I were at Heywards while Pope was working, Kie was helping service customers while JJ and I were throwing a piece of fruit between each other.

"Don't let it get in your head. Three of them and two of us" JJ said to Pope, talking about last night's fight.

"That's typical kook shit, right there" I said to the boys

"What was your thought process, using your head?" JJ asked Pope

"I don't know man, I just acted off instinct. I was a cornered animal" Pope said, making us laugh.

"Hey Pope, someone here to see you" Heyward called out as we saw Shoupe walk in behind him.

I looked up at JJ with worry all over my face and he just grabbed my hand.

"I have an arrest warrant for felony destruction of property" Shoupe said walking towards Pope

"Oh shit, no no" I said knowing Pope was about to be arrested so I went and stood in front of him.

"Young lady, out of my way" Shoupe said pushing past me to get to Pope

"Shoupe what did he do" Heyward asked the officer

"JJ, what do we do?" I asked JJ who was suddenly completely quiet as we followed Pope and Shoupe outside.

"It wasn't him" JJ suddenly yelled from beside me, grabbing my hand.

"JJ no" I said looking at him in shock.

"It was me, he tried to talk me out of it, but I was mad because he'd just been beaten up. I was so sick of those assholes from Figure Eight that I lost my shit" JJ said, I could feel his grip tighten on my hand "I can't let you take the blame for something I did, you've got too much to lose" JJ looked at Pope.

"JJ" I said again but this time crying but he wouldn't look at me.

"JJ what are you doing?" Pope asked him

"I'm telling the truth. For once in my goddamn life, I'm gonna tell the truth. I took his old man's boat too"

"JJ come on" Pope said to his friend

"Shut up Pope" JJ said, looking at Pope before looking back at Shoupe. "He's a good kid. You know where I'm from. This was all me" JJ said

"That's the whole truth?" Shoupe asked Pope

"Whole truth, swear to god" JJ said

"I know what you think damn it, I'm asking Pope" Shoupe said

Pope looked at Shoupe then to JJ and then to me standing next to JJ crying.

"Yeah, that about covers it" He said quietly

"I love you Savannah" JJ said as he finally looked at me before Shoupe put the handcuffs on him and dragged him into the police car.

When the police car drove away I fell to my knees and couldn't stop the tears.
"I'm so sorry Sav" Pope said bending down to my level, I noticed he was crying as well

"It's not your fault, Pope. This is what JJ does, protects his best friends. I just wish he cared about himself as much as he cares about us" I said to Pope

Kie came over and helped me up, embracing me in a hug that she didn't let go of until I was ready.

"Come on, you can stay at my house" Kie said as we left Heywards.

I now had no idea where John B was and JJ was in jail. I have gone from always having one of them by my side to now having neither of them.