nine

Night had fallen, and you were sitting on the couch opposite the small dancing fire in the fireplace. The warmth of the open flame filled your soul, a wave of calmness and serenity washing over you. Although no one was talking, the silence was pleasant. You were comfy, the comfiest that you had probably ever been.

Techno was sitting at his desk, polishing his axe. His back was to you, but when he spoke you could hear his words clear as day.

"Have you ever been in love?" Techno asked, his voice low, not wanting to startle you.

You sighed, closing your eyes.

"Bit of a random question, but I have. It's a long story, and I'm sure you have better things to do," you mumbled.

"Actually, I don't. I asked for a reason, and now you are legally obligated to tell me your story," Techno smiled, turning from his desk to face you.

"Fine, but buckle yourself in, because there isn't a happy ending in this fairy-tale."

A sad smile crossed your face as Techno turned his attention back to his already perfectly polished axe.

"Before we start, can I..." you trailed off, unknowingly staring at Techno's knotted pink plait.

"Sure," he grunted, lifting himself from his desk and over onto the floor in front of you.

Taking a deep breath, you pulled out the elastic band that held together his hurried braid.

"I was 16 when we first met. We were so young, still just kids. We didn't know any better. We were so naïve at the time. What we had was... not allowed. Our love was forbidden. She was taken away before I even got the chance to say goodbye." your eyes were locked on the orange flame that cast a soft glow around the room, delicately undoing his plait.

"...she?" Techno questioned, clearly taken aback.

"Yeah, she. Niki. My first love," that sad smile was still very prominent on your face.

"What happened?"

"Well to understand the what and the why, you have to understand the how." Running your hands gently through his hair to untangle any knots, you stopped to take a breath.

This will be a long night.

"We met through her family business. Her parents owned the only bakery in town, so inevitably, being the casual bread enjoyer that I am, I was bound to meet her at some point. She was their main worker, running the cash register and helping the customers when needed.

So, on a random Sunday morning, I went into the store and was greeted by her. Her smile was the brightest I'd ever seen, and I just knew I had to become friends with her. I struck up a conversation with her, and we immediately bonded.

I asked her to hang out after her work, and we did. Every day, for the next year. Every single day after her work, I would meet her outside the shop, and we would go do whatever we wanted."

Techno stayed silent, his full attention back to you. He kept his head forward, but held a curious expression nonetheless.

"We had been friends for a month when she told me she liked women. At first, I was shocked. In our village, being gay wasn't allowed. It was frowned upon. I didn't know what to say, and I was an idiot so I ghosted her for a week, until I came to my senses and realised how much she had to of trusted me to have told me when we were in such a bad environment.

At the time, I didn't know I was... either, but I caught myself thinking about her more than a friend would.

Two weeks later, she told me. She told me she had a crush on me, and it was fine if I didn't feel this same.