nineteen

A light conversation about nothing important slowly evolved into a comfortable silence as you and Technoblade sat on his front porch, soaking up each other's presence. The midday sun was beaming onto you, the warmth providing you with a sense of safety and stability.

You had come to realise that Technoblade's cabin always managed to make you feel safe. It may have been the cabin, or it may have just been the fact that you were with him... only you would ever know.

By now five days had passed since travelling to the waterfall together, and you had decided to elongate you stay with Techno for a little while longer. Although neither of you would never admit it, no one wanted you to leave. Not even Phil.

Techno was reading one of his many books on the history of war as you were just staring into space, thinking about your many different irrelevant ideas.

"Ya know, this chair is really uncomfortable," you said.

"Uh... heh? That's such a random thought," he laughed, clearly taken aback by your abrupt outburst.

"I was just thinking, sitting on the floor is pretty much always more fun."

"Okay? Then sit on the floor."

"Challenge accepted," you grinned, standing up and pulling the chair out from under you, sliding your back down the cabin exterior, until you were sitting upon the hard dark oak planks.

"Somehow, I think this is the first time I've been more uncomfortable on the floor than on a chair," you lightly punched Techno's knee. "Good to know your front deck isn't fun or comfortable to sit on-"

You were suddenly, and albeit very rudely, interrupted by a harsh tapping on the glass of the living room by one of Phil's many black crows.

Uh oh. That can't mean anything good. Or maybe it can? Maybe Phil was on his way over, and was just letting you know in advance?

You looked over at Techno with a very confused look on your face, only to see your expression mirrored by him.

"Were you expecting-?"

"No," he finished, as if he knew the rest of your question.

He stood up to walk over and reach for the parchment tied to the bird's foot. Pulling off the ribbon that held the paper, Techno patted the bird, and with a loud squawk it flew off into the distance, undoubtedly back to Phil.

It must have been instructed not to wait around for a response.

Techno's face paled as he unfurled and read the letter to himself, immediately setting off and jumping into action.

He dropped the letter on the table for you to read and left the room. Pushing yourself up and off the hardwood boards, you stood over the table. The parchment read:

Techno,
They found your compass. I don't know how long you have.
I'm under house arrest. I'm sorry I can't help.
Stay safe. Protect the girl.
Phil

The handwriting was messy, barely eligible. You could tell it had been scribbled in a hurry, but you didn't have the slightest clue what any of it meant.

What compass?

Who's coming?

Techno came back out onto the porch, decked out in his most dazzling netherite armour. He grabbed your arm pulling you inside and dead bolted the front door behind you.

"Techno, what's going on?" You attempt to reason. He let go of your arm, lightly pushing you aside.

"Bad people are coming for my head. My past is catching up to me," he huffed, shuffling up the ladder to his room in a hurry. You follow, hot on his tail.