Chapter 1

I couldn't focus in class, and honestly, I didn't think that anyone could.

The liveliness of Silver Meadow University died the moment word about Alex's murder got around a few nights ago. Everyone walked around with grim expressions, red eyes that were swollen with the evidence of too many tears and broken hearts.

I looked to the side for at least the third time in the last ten minutes, and my eyes landed on the empty chair. His chair. No one in the room had the heart to place themselves or their belongings near that seat, partially hoping that Alex would come through the door with his usual bright smile and restore the liveliness.

Andrew's words from a few nights floated back to me. "His body was found in the river, and his throat was slashed."

I felt that rage bubble up again, and I flipped through my crime investigation notes for class. I needed to study. I needed to focus. This year was the most important, and I knew that Alex would want me to get my shit together and succeed, like we were supposed to do together.

Like we were supposed to do together.

Poor Andrew and the rest of the Starr family were completely devastated, and I wished that there was something more that I could offer them than sympathy. I wanted to give them closure. I wanted to give myself closure. The entire world needed closure.

What happened to Alex happened to multiple people, and if someone didn't put an end to it, it would happen to someone else soon.

The door to the classroom opened, and when I looked up to see who walked in, I immediately regretted it. I had a lot on my mind, and the last thing I needed was to look at him.

The six-foot man with light skin, deep green eyes that resembled spring leaves, and midnight dark hair walked in quietly to sit down in the empty chair across from me. I genuinely believed that it was his favorite spot in the room, so he could shoot me all of the dirty and/or mocking looks his heart desires. He also enjoyed smirking at me whenever I answered a question wrong, then gave the correct answer to the professor without breaking his stare. He liked to be the best there was, and I -- a determined overachiever -- often kept him right where he belonged: Second place.

As a junior in college who's studying crime investigation, I've had to deal with multiple academic rivals. But without a doubt, Elias Manson was the most annoying, the most persistent, and therefore, the biggest pain in my ass.

Manson's hatred for me started during a heated debate that took place the second semester of our freshman year. He originally thought his biggest concern would be Alex, who was smart and very well-known throughout our class, but once I started making valid points that shut down his arguments, he gave me his full attention.

I won the debate, but that started a much more fiery war of constantly one-upping each other between us. He had no intention of letting up, and neither did I, even a couple years later.

My heart sank as I remembered how Alex cheered me on that day, and how he never hesitated to bring up the look on Manson's face when he lost whenever I needed to laugh. The horrible feeling in my gut returned as I looked towards my desk and bit back tears. I had no idea how I was going to adjust to life without him now. The three of us -- Alex, Dana and myself -- were going to throw a big party once we completed junior year.

The only thing I hated more than the fact we'd never be able to do that, was the asshole that stole him from his family, his friends, and everything he ever wanted in life.

"Alright, everyone," Professor Rize's voice snapped me from my thoughts, and I was thankful for it. "Due to the recent, horrific news regarding Alex Starr, I'm pushing back the deadline for your project ideas to next week. This is rough on all of us, and I want you all to take care of yourselves."