Chapter 18

Bit of a long chapter. Also, major spice warning here. :) First of many in this story. Definitely a bit different from my other stories. Love you <3 -Rae

UPDATE: Also, there's small mentions of anxiety/ panic attack in this chapter. I've realized that I haven't marked those at the beginning of previous chapters, and I do apologize.

------

While I waited for Eli to finish getting dressed, I spaced out. Faintly, I heard Naomi laughing softly as she and Damian played with the puppies together.

At the memory of what happened upstairs in Eli's room, I breathed out a small sigh and tried to ignore my racing heart. Now wasn't the time to be in a mood. I had work to do tonight, and I couldn't let anything distract me.

"And once I learn every little thing that unravels you, then I'll handle you."

Fuck. Fuck. Okay, this was bad. No matter how much I want to be touched, I can't just go around sleeping with my rival. Once our project is submitted, we won't have any other reason to hang out. Then where would that leave me? No can do.

But damn, I'd be lying if I said that a tiny part of me didn't want to see how he'd do it.

Get your shit together and focus, I thought to myself.

When Eli came downstairs, Damian walked over to the kitchen island and gestured to the stove. "Hey, want some pizza?"

"Not right now, but save me a piece for later," he replied as he started his way to the front to grab his shoes.

"Alright," Damian said before turning over to me. "What about you, Mars?"

"No for me either, but thank you."

Eli paused his movements, then looked over at his best friend and raised a single brow. "...Mars?"

"Little nickname I gave her since we're workout buddies now," he smiled with a soft shrug before taking a bite of pizza. "I think it's cute. Don't you agree?"

"Yeah. Adorable," Eli said flatly before looking over at me. "Ready?"

I nodded, said goodbye to the others and followed him out of the house. "I'll drive," I told him.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

Once we were in my car, I put my bag in the back seat and started driving. Eli was silent for a while, then quietly asked, "When did you and Damian become workout buddies?"

"Yesterday," I said. "I woke up early to go to the gym for a change and there he was. It made sense, since he knows a lot of the equipment and he goes early very often. So, I have a workout buddy and quite a few study buddies."

"So you'll be over pretty often, I'm assuming?"

I nodded. "Looks like it."

"Well, here's another warm welcome to our chaotic family," he said. "By the way, we need a plan."

"I agree, but a plan for what, exactly?"

"We know that the killer is on both of our asses. I think we should lay low for a bit, therefore you can give them the illusion that you're giving up on the case like you said."

"I thought the same," I muttered. "But I feel like they'd stalk me regardless. I mean, the deal was already violated, for fuck's sake. I also want to prevent them from striking again if I can help it."