Chapter 17

Let's turn up the tension, shall we? :) ily <3 -Rae

I got home late that afternoon, and it wasn't until then I realized just how tired I was from the day. Immediately, I walked to my bedroom and locked the door, double checking that the gun was still where I left it before opening my laptop.

I placed an order for a few things related to the case. Small recorders that could fit in my pocket so I wouldn't have to use my phone, a few extra flash drives in case I needed them, and a poster board so I could organize my ideas on something larger and create a map. Before we separated, Eli told me he'd be doing the same.

Once I submitted the order, I felt a bit of relief seeing the notification that my supplies would be here by tomorrow. Then I relaxed in my chair, eventually grinding my teeth when I felt a pulse of anger resurface from earlier.

Isabella paid to have me suspended. Every logical part of me screamed at me to let it go, but I was pissed. I wanted to get even, wanted to get under her skin and let her know that I wasn't intimidated by her, but a small fraction of me whispered to play it safe for now.

Like always, I listened to that fraction, no matter how much it upset me.

I pulled out my phone to text Dana that I was home, and I froze in fear when I saw my newest message.

Unknown: I'm surprised you never messaged me that I violated our agreement the other night.

My heart slammed against my ribs, and I swallowed hard before replying.

Mari: Why did you feel the need to text me this? I have no interest in messaging you. You told me you'd leave me alone and stop stalking me, and I was an idiot for believing you.

Like always, their reply was instant.

Unknown: I typically keep to my word, sweetheart. You must've been so scared.

A sharp burst of rage pulsed through my blood, and I breathed deeply so I wouldn't type anything that would put me in danger.

Mari: I already told you that I'm not your sweetheart.

Unknown: But you are. So sweet to the point you'd stay with Dana and Elias even after you found out the truth about them. I'm sure they told you, and I'm even more sure that you were curious. I expected you to be long gone by now.

My stomach dropped. The killer knew about Dana and Eli. Suddenly, the situation went from bad to worse. I couldn't even think of a reply before another text came in.

Unknown: I won't lie to you though. I was aware of Elias, but I wasn't aware of Dana until she ran straight for me that night. Just how many killers do you know, Amari?

Way too fucking many, apparently.

Mari: I told you I'd stop digging, but you never stopped stalking me. Please just leave me alone. I want nothing to do with this.

Unknown: I do apologize for going back on my word. I already told you that I would never hurt you. But think about who you're siding with here, sweetheart. If I were you, I'd drop them both immediately and save yourself from getting more tangled than you already are.

Whether I liked it or not, I was already deeply tangled. I didn't reply to the message, and I waited a few minutes before packing a bag with some clothes and my study supplies. Then I grabbed my car keys, a cupcake for the drive, texted Dana to tell her where I was going, then left the apartment for the night.

The killer just gave me a small crumb, and if I played my cards right, it could be the start of what leads me to the entire cookie.

-----