1: Disheartening Legacy

My brain ran a hundred miles per hour as I calculated the summarized prize of the groceries in my cart. I sighed when I realized that I was surpassing the budget and put one of the packets of bread back into the shelf along with two packets of my favorite noodles with a heavy heart. My eyes wondered towards the snacks section and I resisted myself from going up there. There was no way we would ever be able to afford those tasty cereals again. I remembered having those on the daily before dad lost his job. I could almost taste its crunchy texture with vanilla filling on the tip of my tongue.

''excuse me,'' someone bumped their cart into mine. It startled me, also pulling me out of the daze. I apologized for blocking the alley and got out of the way, heading towards the billing.

It was a good decision to wake up early and come for a shop because the super mart was almost empty, it always was in the late mornings. I was even happier that I got to avoid the long queue. The woman at the counter started to scan my products as she simultaneous spoke to her colleague beside.

''it's a shame I'm losing a partner like you,''

The young boy who looked a bit older than me shrugged, ''university calls me,''

''excited?'' she grins at him.

''about hostel life? Heck yeah,'' he grinned back at her.

I thanked her as she finished scanning and started putting everything in the handmade bag stitched by my mother. As I helped her in the task, I felt shivers run down my back as I couldn't help but think about a chance at being hired in the place of this guy. I could help my parents financially! My mind raced and jumbled at the thought of missing this opportunity. Therefore, before leaving, I asked the lady for the manager's number.

I felt nervous yet energetic as I left the mart. A wave of warm air brushed past my body as the temperature changed from air-conditioning to the summer heat. I could have taken an auto back home, but I remembered my father's mantra.

'Save as much money as you can'

I sighed as I carried two huge bags of ration for at least half the month in both my bags. Fifteen minutes in and my arms started to hurt overwhelmingly. I needed to take a break, so I stopped at a junction of the road and squatted behind the bags, my fingers still wrapped around both.

My eyes wondered towards the sugarcane stall and I felt my mouth water. It's just 10 rupees a glass. I can afford that... I told myself. The sun had started to show itself brighter as the afternoon aroused. I felt a single drop of sweat prick down my temple. I gulped and restrained myself from getting carried away. Mom would definitely catch this stupid expenditure and if dad found out, I would be a goner.

''ten more minutes of walk, Aana,'' I encouraged, dragging myself towards the destination that was my home.

At the time I reached the residential area where I resided with my parents, I was a dehydrated mess. I weakly smiled at the watchman that enjoyed a cold-drink at the entrance of the colony. There were apartment blocks every 10 meters from each other and two four story buildings at the end where higher income residence lived. The house I lived in was located in the middle of the colony with three bedrooms, the largest one being occupied by my parents and the third locked shut for past few years.

We were immigrants from Bangladesh, having dual citizenship as we lived in India. My parents moved here in Mumbai when mom was still pregnant, and continued to live here ever after. Thankfully, I got to have the citizenship of India being born here as well.

I released a breath of relief when I finally reached the front door and pressed the doorbell like a mad woman. The small window by the door was open minimally. My mother looked at me from inside with big eyes and put a finger over her lips, shushing me.