11: String Of Uncertainties

Olivia D'Silva was a scary woman.

Ashton always said that it was merely a façade she'd created. That once I know her for who she really is, I would understand the softer, friendlier side of her. Although as I looked at her dark skin, lips painted purple and stretched into a frown, her hair that she kept loose behind her back, and lastly, her tall figure, together made me take a step back and look at Ash in surprise who carelessly waved at her with an even careless smile.

''I thought you weren't feeling well?'' Ashton's older sister asked, her eyes flicking to me. ''have me met before?''

I parted my lips to respond, but Ashton spoke instead.

''I'm feeling much better. Thanks, sis.'' I felt horrible. I was so drowned in my own misery that I never asked why Ashton couldn't make it to the classes in the first place. As I felt Ashton's hand brush mind, I felt the warmth of his skin. Not the kind which comforted me usually, but the kind which immediately worried me. He was running down on a fever.

''oh no, are you sick?''

''I won't infect you if thats what you're worried about.'' he smirked at me. And I frowned.

''that's not what I meant,''

He looked away from me and stared at his sister. ''This is Aana.'' he introduced. ''My girlfriend.''

My heart skipped a beat. How could he? So easily?

If I were in his place, and I had to introduce Ashton to say, Rayan, or worse, my father, I would start crying on the spot.

With my heart racing, and eyes wide, I looked between Ashton and his sister. The latter looked at me so intently that I started fidgeting with my fingers and my toes towered each other in anxiety. I felt Ashton's still warm hand grabbed mine and I gulped looking at him. He who couldn't care less about the world's opinion on us. His eyes as dark as the moonless night looked at me with a sure attitude. His steadiness radiated to me and I felt my shoulders relax and hand unclench in his.

I turned my head and looked at Olivia with a narrow smile.

''Hi,''

I saw the surprise on her face at my sudden confidence. She never made a comment upon it. She fanned her purple tank top, put her bag on the table-top near the front door and walked past us inside.

''I've no idea why there is a heat wave when it rained so heavily just yesterday.'' she complained and went over the fridge in the kitchen and bought a cool water bottle. Ashton guided me into the living room and the three of us soon sat on the L-shape sofa. We did not dare to speak after her. For we knew her complain wasn't directed towards a beginning of a conversation. She barely ever looked at us, and I must say I was a little sad about it.

She looked at her brother for the longest time. Enough to make him uncomfortable.

''oh, my god. What?'' he groaned, throwing his head back. ''just ask already,'' he slapped his hand on his thigh lightly.

''You know where to start, Ash.'' her calm voice sent shivers down my spine.

''we've been dating for a little more than a month, alright? You told me I can date now. I was just waiting for a good opportunity to tell you that I already am.'' he started. He licked his lips and began again, only more confidently ''I'd liked her since 10th grade. This year we were paired for an assignment and we immediately started... dating after.''

''aren't you going to say something?'' it took me a second to understand that it was directed towards me. I was a bit shaken up and felt embarrassed that both probably saw that clearly.