17: Home

''I hope you are careful of the women that you hang out with...'' I was staring into space when I said that.

I had been reading this book while sitting on the couch for two hours without moving. I wasn't a fan of books. But Ashton once bought me a book and now that I was forced to take a leave from college and mart by my mother so that I could take a breath, I decided to spend my morning reading.

My mother, who had been cleaning vegetables, paused and looked at me with raised eyebrows. The twins were lazily laying, one on the floor and another beside me on the couch. They turned their heads to me and then looked at one another. While, Venky looked at me amused.

''She's reading Verity,'' He elaborated to the rest of the confused family.

''Its sickening,'' I looked at the book in my hands.

''You have been reading that for way to long,'' Venky smiled as he cuffed the hands of his shirt. ''It's a quiet an unhealthy book. Take a break,''

''Do such toxic women really exist?'' I wanted to know.

My mother raised her eyebrows as she looked back and forth between the TV, me and the knife in her hands lingering over the lady fingers. ''What women are you talking about?''

''It's fiction,'' Venky grabbed the book from my hands.

''I have dated a few... complicated women,'' Robbie shrugged. ''You just gotta know when to quit,''

Venky was still examining the book when I kicked Rayan in the stomach who sat on the other side of the couch. ''What about you?''

''I don't date women,'' he scratched his head and I frowned.

''what do you mean?'' I frowned my eyebrows.

The room quietened unexpectedly and I took my time to look at everybody's faces. I blinked twice and realised what he was talking about after all. He was gay.

''You like men,'' I muttered, still dumbfounded.

''does that make you uncomfortable?'' Rayan bored his cold grey eyes into mine. He was annoyed. As if my reaction displeased him. Of course it did, I was being the most unsupportive sister in the world.

To make up for the regret seeping in my chest, I crawled over the couch to Rayan and hugged his neck tightly.

''Sorry. I was just surprised." I muttered. Homosexuality was never discussed in our house and neither did I have any friends who openly stated that they were a part of LGBTQ+. The society I lived in treated it like a disease and I was just never exposed to the comfort level with this phenomenon. If it wasn't for the internet, I bet I wouldn't even know that homosexuality existed.

''Not her fault.'' Robbie muttered, his focus on the text he was typing. ''Remember how dad told us that boys who like boys can never go to heaven.''

''Yes,'' Rayan muttered, his body finally a little less tense after I attacked him with my hug. ''I was homophobic half my life because of him,''

''This society does not accept that kind of love.'' Our mother stood up. Her eyes meeting no ones. ''Your father was trying to protect you. You really don't need to make him a villan all the time''

''Sure,'' Rayan muttered , disinterested. His attention was fixated on the television but I'm not sure he was really watching it anymore.

Our mother left for the kitchen and I was left with my siblings. Venky came back to me and returned me my book. He told me it was a good one.

''yeah...'' I muttered. ''Are none of you dating?''

''I'm not,'' Rayan muttered. He covered my face in his huge palm and pushed me away softly, as if physical touch actually hurt him if offered for too long.