10: Untold Stories

For the first time since I'd met Mr. Arora, my brother's personal lawyer, or that's what I'd been introduced to him as, did I notice his eyes. They were grey. Like my father's. Like Rayan's. Yet, they were different from both. Those grey orbs looked at me with the uncertainty of the world. They were hooded with thick lashes, the shape of his eyes reminding me of Lucky. There was something else. Something that... scared me.

I saw concern swimming in his eyes. Maybe he was. But I wasn't ready to acknowledge that yet. Heart too young, too damaged. His image was black in the depth of my heart. The reason for the fall I experience over, and over. For he was the reason. And that was enough. Enough for me to conclude who was to blame. He was to blame. He was to blame for the present that I hate. For the past he could not tame.

''Aana,'' and I snapped out of my daze.

I gasped.

I felt myself go mute again. He lied. They lied. How was I to trust? how was I to believe? Who?

Did my mother know? My father?

Of course, they did. Still, why was I the oblivious one? why was I kept in the dark?

These questions... they were messing with me. With my head. I had to take several breathes to contain myself. Contain from fainting, because the way I needed support to rest my back against the wall, I felt like I was on the verge of passing out.

''okay, calm down. Can you hear me, Aana?'' Robbie approached me. He touched my hand. But I hissed and snatched it away as if his touch alone burned me.

I looked at Robbie, no longer willing to resume looking at the compelling gaze of my eldest brother.

''should I leave, what should I do?'' Venkat asked. He was also looking at Robbie now. The brother who stood conflicted. Whether to calm me or to reassure his older brother.

''dad! I'm done pooping!'' Lucky stomped her foot. Still holding her top against her stomach. Everyone seemed to have forgotten about her presence for a while.

''oh, for god's sake, someone clean after her.'' Ishan sat up yawning.

''I'm leaving.'' I finally managed to say. My eyes on the floor. My legs started towards the door.

''wait, Ishan will drop you home.'' Venkat said but I could not and did not respond to him. I had goosebumps as he addressed me. Strange. So strange. I thought he was going to touch me, the way his hand reached to grab mine. I hugged both my hands against my chest, a sullen realisation sinking into me. I was afraid of him. I did not have time to see if he realised the effect he had on me. How much he scared me, I only remembered that I was running down the stairs. How tall was the building? 21 floors? 23?

All I remembered was how the apartment was on the last floor. I was not going to wait for the lift to come pick me up. I wouldn't be able to stand still for such a long time. So, my legs ran down, and down, and down. Until someone grabbed my arm and pulled be. The force with which I was pulled behind scared me. I think I screamed, making me and the person fall butt first on the floor.

I groaned as well as him. I realised that Ishan was glaring at me. I looked up and saw the 19th floor written on a beam above.

''stupid!'' Ishan grunted and grabbed my arm, pulling me up with him. ''what were you thinking? Planning to walk to the ground floor by foot?!''

''i wasn't just going to wait for your slow ass elevator to come and get me!'' I shouted back.

''what is wrong with you!''

''what's wrong with me?! What is wrong with you? All you bloody people!'' I was screaming, and I begged my eyes not to tear. Though, with the raging breath and a hot face, they were inevitable.