12: Waves Of Abyss

There are instances in all our lives where you begin to feel a change commence. You know it has the potential to flip your life upside down, whether for the good or not. It accompanies you with the sullen feel of a loose control over your choices that only time can give you a straight answer to.

Age was the factor that was a result and the reason for making me feel that way. A sixteen-year-old daughter kept in the dark upon the reasons for the rest of her family's absence. The youngest of the five kids being fought for.

There was so much happening around me. Venkat was going to make it right. And although I did not understand what that meant, I knew change was going to be a part of it. I feared change. I liked butter scotch ice cream so much that I never tried any other flavour, fearing the loss of my money if I did not like the new flavour. I travelled by bus merely because any other public transport was out of my comfort zone.

I was aware of my fear of change. I started wondering about the current changes that were taking place in my life. How Venkat was suddenly a part of my life within the course of a few days. The country I lived in all my life was kicking me and my parents out.

My emotions were taking a toll on me. I felt it sit heavy on my shoulders. I was curious, I was patient, of the promise Venkat made. Sure, I was unfamiliar with that man and his presence. Sure, I was raised to fear and hate him, although, he intrigued me. Every time he entered a room, I would find myself curious about his next move, of his next words being said. I would observe, but from afar. I would think how we would have been if nothing ever went wrong with him and my parents and we were a normal family. I would call him my brother. What kind of bond would we have as siblings a decade apart in age? would he adore me? would I love him? would he love me?

''he loves you,'' Ishan confirmed, nodding at my imagination.

It was raining heavily and even though I had an umbrella, it was not enough to save me from the stormy rain. I stayed behind and waited for it to slow down sitting on the bench beside my brother who visited me after my shift as always. For once, I would have made an exception and had climbed into Ishan's car. But the moron bought a motorbike. Thus, we were both stuck here.

''how do you know?'' I asked, being sceptic.

''How do I know?'' He snorted. ''the world knows. Hell, I'm jealous he loves you more than he does to me,''

I blushed. ''I don't believe you.''

''You are the youngest of his siblings. The only sister. He didn't see you as much as he did to us boys. Ofc—''

''That's enough,'' I huffed. ''i don't want to talk about him.'' I glared at the rain. ''Will it not slow down?'' I muttered. I did not look at my brother because I knew he was looking at me.

''wow, you're in denial,'' He snorted and I slapped his arm. He laughed loudly and got up. ''I want an ice-cream.'' he suddenly announced and I glared up at him who stood abruptly.

''The Mart is closing. No customers allowed after 11 pm.'' it was way past eleven but I had texted my mother that I was with Ishan at the Mart so that she wouldn't worry.

''Well, my sister happens to be an employee there. Surely I must have some benefits.'' he smirked and then adjusted his round glasses over his nose as if he'd said something genius.

''won't you get sick?'' I raised my eyebrows to which he frowned immediately. Him and I were never immune to cold liquid. It always got us sick. An ice cream while it poured outside was an option we never had growing up.

''You don't worry about me. C'mon Aana, before the Mart closes down for real.'' he whined this time. My nineteen-year-old brother was whining. People, where are the cameras?