4: Obliviousness Is Peaceful

Chapter Four

I had always liked Saturday mornings. One, because I had no classes that day. Two, I got to catch some extra sleep. Although, my father always ended those long hours of sleep by ten in the morning. he never really like me over sleeping, or anything the word over is a prefix to. I suppose I was given the role of a good girl, right? Right, because as the days went by, I could slowly start to see the pride inside my father's cold and grey eye iris. His acknowledgement or rather, the acceptance that I was indeed able to help him financially was slowly starting to catch my eyes.

Like the times when he would ask me if I needed a ride to the Mart, even though it was only a fifteen minutes' walk. Or the fact that he scolded me for not getting much sleep because he said and I quote 'you have a job now! Should be more careful about your health'

Two weeks into the job and I already had my advance salary. My family had 40% on every item in the Mart off because of the employee advantages of mine. With a relief that I was indeed helping my family, I began with my brunch before I could leave for the Saturday shift in the afternoon to earn some extra pennies. Although, I realised that no matter how good things might seem to go, obstacles never leave you alone.

''people are starting to talk,'' mom started.

''what?'' I paused, the spoon stopping before my lips.

''my lady friends, they're... I won't say making fun, but definitely judging me over letting you work at the Mart.'' Her eyes were sad, I met mine with dad's. I didn't know how to comfort her. It seemed to really bother her.

''we should be proud of her,'' He patted her back, then slowly raised his face at the ceiling. ''Maybe I should stop searching for a job with my qualifications. No one wants an oldie like me in their company. Wasn't there a vacancy at the bakery?''

Dad working at a bakery... that was a funny image. He never even wore an apron in the house for dusting, and making buns is something I'm sure dad would have snarled at six months back when he still had a stable job and we weren't so broke.

''Mom was right, I should have completed my education.'' My mother grunted at herself. ''A girl should always be educated! If not, then she ends up like me. Useless!'' my eyes widened with their self-contemplations.

''four sons, and none of them are of use,'' dad scoffed, and I felt nervous at the mention of my older, missing siblings. With a lot of hesitation, I was able to speak.

'' would you, uh, would you have allowed them to help us if they had come with any?''

''never!'' dad growled.

''then why was Robbie here the other day?'' I gathered courage to ask about my brothers since it was a forbidden topic in this house. We behaved as if there were never four boys who grew up in this house. As if mom never gave birth to kids before me. I had even forced myself to forget about Ishan.

The silence became louder and was manipulated by dad's growing anger. I watched his eyes narrow and jaw tick. He waited for me to lower my eyes, which I did, being my shy and coward self. But I did not give up yet.

''I want to know,''

''I promise you don't,'' he snapped.

Mom put a hand on dad's shoulder and looked at me frowning. ''stop it. Aana, leave. Your shift starts in twenty,''

''why can't you just tell me?'' I dropped the spoon in my plate and its clank buzzed in my ears. ''What is it? I think I'm old enough to digest your little secret.'' Was I? Maybe. Maybe not. But I'd already spoken and there was no going back. So, I sucked in a deep breath and waited for his response.