Water Fight [chapter 14]

"Woah, woah, woah," y/n stopped Mirabel when she started trying to pull her back towards Casita. That was not where she thought she was going. In her mind, she'd help Mirabel find Luisa, talk a little, and then she'd be on her way to help Camilo with his chores. This time was particularly special as they were having a water fight. He'd reserved a quarter of the village just for this big event! "Where are you taking me?"

"You wanted proof, right?" Mirabel asked, stopping and turning around in the middle of the road with furrowed brows. She grabbed both of y/n's hands, "I'm going to give you the proof you need, and you'll win Camilo over. He'll listen to you before he'll listen to me."

The girl shook her head, removing her hands from Mirabel's, "I got what I wanted. Luisa saying she felt weak was all I needed to hear. If she agrees that the magic is starting to die out, then you weren't lying. And I guess I'll believe you about the cracks on the house too..."

Mirabel let out a sigh of relief and threw her hands over y/n's shoulders, "Don't tell Camilo I said this, but you're my favorite triplet."

"Oh, I am definitely telling Camilo," she let a smile of pride come onto her face. "He's gotta know who's superior— er, or be reminded of it at least."

Mirabel could only let out a small laugh of amusement. Though it hadn't even been twenty four hours, Mirabel missed hearing y/n's snide remarks and the ones Camilo would say to match others' energy. They truly did go hand in hand. Even if at times Mirabel felt like a outlier of the three, it was never further from the truth.

Camilo and Mirabel were cousins, making them have a bond the other two couldn't; they were related by blood. Y/n and Mirabel were both girls, so they could talk to each other about the things they experienced that Camilo didn't. And obviously y/n and Camilo were basically a thing. That in itself is a whole other long explanation.

Camilo spotted the two as he came onto the street, panting with his hands on his knees. He endured the pain a little longer, running over to his two other triplets. He put his hands on Mirabel's shoulders and shook them back and forth quickly.

"Give me back the l/n. I need her!" his tone was breathy, likely from whatever running he'd been doing.

Mirabel's face contorted into one of half confusion and half fear, "You can take her; she's all yours!"

Y/n couldn't help but laugh. Then she heard the noise Camilo was running from. She had her theory confirmed when she saw a bunch of kids stop in the distance, looking around before pointing out the Madrigal. They started to run towards him again. The three of them happened to notice this as well as Camilo's terrified expression. Those kids had been chasing him, no doubt about it.

"Finally," he wailed. Camilo grabbed y/n's arm and dragged her down the road and towards the kids. "Come on, mi vida. We've got to get this water fight started. I've been prolonging it a bit too long for their liking..."

"How long was too long?"

Camilo let out a nervous chuckle, "Since breakfast."

"Oh," she mumbled, glancing back to Mirabel who was starting to get further and further away as she went in the opposite direction towards Casita. From checking a clock in a nearby windowsill, she could see it had been almost two hours since then. "I guess we have to put on a show then. Don't we, mi amado?"

Camilo let a light blush blossoms over his cheeks. It wasn't very often he was the one being given a pet name, "Sí, cariña."

She let a small smile form on her face. It was quite the sight to see; a blushing Camilo that didn't have some sort of snide remark. He was always so genuine when he felt slightly embarrassed. It was endearing; especially when hearing the names he'd give her with his mind in a jumbled, flustered mess. It was one of the many traits she not-so-secretly secretly loved about Camilo Madrigal.

Her eyes roamed the streets, lighting up when they found a hose just begging to be used nearby. And luckily for her, the spout didn't look to be rusted. It actually looked a bit on the newer side.

She rushed over to it, screwing the handle until water came rushing out of the exposed end of the hose. Y/n pointed it towards the kids and placed her thumb over the hole. It sprayed all over the kids who were unfortunate enough to have gotten too close. She let out a maniacal laugh at the kids sputtering, trying their hardest to get away from the water that she'd just adjust the angle of with each movement.

"Oh, it's on!" one of the kids bellowed. His war-ready demeanor faltered when his mouth filled up with water. "Gah—"

Camilo just stood beside her. He watched as his partner in crime wreaked havoc with his arms crossed and a sly grin on his face. This was the side of his chores he enjoyed. But then the unexpected happened. A kid threw a water balloon. How they got it? No clue. But it landed on the ground right in front of where Camilo and y/n stood, getting water all over them.

Y/n let out a gasp, letting the hose drop while she stared at the kid in disbelief. In water fights, she always left unscathed, but dealt a lot of damage. This was her first time getting hit, "What da fuq?"

Camilo burst out laughing. Not only was this the first time he'd seen her take a hit in a water fight, but he also got the luxury of hearing her curse in such an abnormal way. And though the sound of his laughter was melodic and contagious, those kids had no care for it. They had a goal, and they were going to reach it. All they needed to do was overtake y/n while she was still in shock so they'd be able to drench her. It would go down in water fighting history. Y/n l/n: Her First Time Ever Losing A Water Fight.

She wasn't going to take this abuse though. Lifting the hose back up, she turned the pressure of the water up ever higher. She let out a war cry and watched as the kids sputtered with water in their faces.

And Camilo was terrified of her.

"This. Wasn't— Ahhh! In. The. Plan!" a kid shrieked. He had to take a break in between each word to catch a breath.

But y/n's attacks remained unrelenting. She'd, for the first time ever, been hit. This enraged her. It had been predetermined in her mind that she would never again be embarrassed like this. Ever.

Fast forward to ten minutes later, and all the kids lay on the ground, completely soaked. Only y/n and Camilo stood.

But that didn't mark the end of the water fight; one more opponent stood.

She turned the hose over to Camilo who let out a girly shriek, already knowing this was coming. It happened every single water fight. He and y/n would team up, and Camilo would be betrayed by her at the last minute. He always let her win. The amount of joy on her face when she emerged victorious always made purposefully losing worth it.

"Mi reina!" Camilo clutched his hand over his heart, falling down to his knees. He laid his back against the ground, rolling around and spitting out whatever water he got in his mouth. He tried to hold a hand out to stop her, but after a few seconds of protest, he dropped dead.

Y/n laughed. She was the winner yet again. She helped Camilo up, dodging him when he tried to bring her into a hug. He'd tried that many times after losing a fight. It was his attempt in getting her just a little wet. Of course, this time he didn't have to try real hard to get water on her. The kid from before had gotten her pretty good.

"This," y/n gestured to the bottom part of her pants which were still dripping, "is unacceptable."

Camilo grinned. He stopped trying to hug her and once again just crossed his arms, "Well, my trusty partner in crime, we both knew you downfall would come eventually."

"But I didn't think it'd be so early," she sighed.

They began walking to one of the other quadrants of the village. It was about lunch time, so they'd stop buy some place and get something to eat. As long as they were back before dinner, everything would be fine. Abuela did not want anyone to miss this grand engagement... that only she and señora Guzmán truly cared about.

"Stop by the Sánchez's diner?" Camilo asked, grabbing y/n's hand in his and swinging them back and forwards. He was right beside her yet was still managing to lead the way. He was just special like that.

Y/n only nodded.

"To the Sánchez's!"