Let's Talk About Bruno [chapter 16]

The door to the nursery was opened, and in came tía Pepa with a cloud above her head. It was thundering might I add. She held a basket that looked to have a bit of Antonio's stuff. She walked into the room and set the basket down next to a, Antonio's old one, dresser.

"Tía, jeez," Mirabel let out a sigh. She shoved the few green pieces she took out back into her bag and turned to her aunt.

"Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean to," Pepa apologized. She reached up and started to swat away the cloud, "Shoo, shoo, shoo!" When the clouds finally went away and she shut the door, she looked back to Mirabel and then to y/n, "Aren't you supposed to be with— you know what? Never mind. I just wanted to get the rest of Toñito's things, and then I heard—" her voice got quieter, "...the name we do not speak."

Pepa groaned, throwing her hands in the air out of frustration, "Great, now I'm thundering. And that thunder will lead to a drizzle, and that drizzle into a sprinkle—" She let out a sigh, doing a self-soothing motion. Pepa forced a smile onto her face, "Clear skies, clear skies," she let out an exhale on the last one, "clear skies."

"Tía Pepa?" Mirabel was cautious. "If Bru— if he had a vision about someone, what would it mean for them?"

"We don't talk about Bruno," Pepa dismissed her question.

It was now y/n's turn to pitch in with her own commentary, "We know... It's just— hypothetically, if he saw you—"

"Mirabel, y/n!" Pepa tried her hardest to suppress the slight rage and anxiety she felt about the topic of her missing brother. She didn't want to lash out at the girls for being curious about something that happened over a decade ago; they could barely remember bathing existed when it happened. "Please, we need to get ready for the Guzmáns."

"I just wanted to know if it was generally positive... or, like, not so positive," said Mirabel.

Félix came barging into the room, "It was a nightmare!"

The three women gasped. Señora Pepa glared at her husband, "Félix!"

"Hey, she needs to know, Pepi. She needs to know," Félix grasped his wife's hand and pat it lightly in an comforting manner. She only yanked her body part away, trying to still convey the anger even though she was never mad at Félix. Ever.

"We don't talk about Bruno!" Pepa spat harshly. She was not going to lose this argument so easily. Not today.

"He would see something terrible, and then..." Félix made some pretty interesting ticking sounds with some hand gestures to go with it. "Boom! It would happen."

Pepa was still persistent, "We don't talk about Bruno." She was talking to herself at that point.

"What if you didn't understand what he saw?" y/n asked.

Félix shrugged, "Well then you better figure it out because it's coming for you."

"We don't talk about Bruno, no, no, no," Pepa got on between her husband and her niece and future daughter in law. She held her hands up and pushed them back, keeping her hands up so they continued to act as a wall of sorts. She then wagged her finger in Félix's face and then the two girls', "We don't talk about Bruno!"

Then she and her husband got in a dancing formation, both looking in the same direction as if they were about to do the salsa or something, "But!"

"It was my wedding day."

"It was our wedding day," Félix added, the scenery around them changing into a projection of what their wedding must've been like all those years ago. It was quite remarkable actually. Wether y/n wanted to truly admit it or not, Abuela Alma did a pretty good job with decorating.