Gossip [chapter 24]

"This sucks," Camilo mumbled, finally getting the chance to deflate. He flopped down on y/n's bed, raking his fingers through his curls, "My powers, I need them back. They're the only thing that even makes me notable."

Y/n furrowed her brows, sitting down next to him on her bed, "No it's not. I liked Camilo before he had powers. Remember when we first met?"

Camilo was silent, thinking back to the slightly embarrassing encounter he'd had with her. "But we were four, and you fell madly in love with me when you first set eyes on me," Camilo waved her off. He gulped when he saw y/n's small glare, "And besides, the people in the town weren't too fond of pre-gifted Camilo."

"Since when did their opinions matter?" she asked.

"For a while, actually," Camilo stated boldly.

His counterpart turned back to him with furrowed brows. Her lips were downcast in a frown. She gave him a certain look, one that Camilo knew meant he did something she really didn't like.

"So you... kept a secret from me?" she tilted her head to the side.

Camilo's eyes widened. He didn't think it was that big of a deal; not until now at least. His self-esteem was a him problem. Never once did Camilo think she'd care about him enough to burden his issues with his confidence. It was just now occurring to him that she actually did care enough about him to want to help him— with anything.

"I'm sorry."

She let out a low hum, "Yeah, yeah. I'm sure your idiotic self didn't mean to. I guess your apology can be accepted, or whatever."

"Oh, thank God," Camilo let out an exasperated sigh. He placed his hand over his heart and fall with his back flat against her mattress. "Whatever would I do without my extremely sarcastic, witty, clever, gorgeous, egotistical partner in crime? Did I mention gorgeous? I don't think I did. Gorgeous."

"Stop it," y/n mumbled, pulling hands over her face and falling back in her bed just like Camilo had done.

They laid still for a moment, the only sound consuming the room being their breaths that were pretty quiet. There wasn't anything to say or that needed to be done, and that was a rare occurrence. Things were peaceful— they were perfect.

Y/n heard her bed sheets ruffle beside her as Camilo turned on his side. He could barely see her with her hands still covering up her face, but with all the time he'd spent in years prior looking at her, he knew exactly what she hid behind her hands. So he stared, and he stared longingly with hints of adoration dancing around in his eyes. He wanted to say— do so much with her, and yet he could never find the ways to express how he felt.

"You know you're beautiful, right?" Camilo asked. He folded his hands neatly together and placed them over his stomach. A grin spread across his face when he saw y/n remove her hands from her face and turn so she was facing him as well. But it wasn't any old grin. It was a charming one instead of a sneaky one.

Y/n blew some air lightly through her mouth so it tickled his nose. She too grinned when she saw her plan worked as he scrunched up his sniffer, "You've only told me like a million times."

"Yeah, but I mean it," he still kept the grin on his face even after the attack. "Like, you're really, really, really, really pretty. I can't fathom why someone like you ever kissed me."

"Because the great Camilo Madrigal has put me under a love spell that can not be broken. What a pity!" she shrieked playfully, letting out a small sigh. She lightly shook her head from side to side, "What a pity."

"Hell yeah, I have," his mouth slowly turned into a sly smirk, getting rid of the love-stuck look that had once been on his face.

She giggled, brining her hand up. The palm of it lightly covered his face and she pushed it back and away from her. This only resulted in giggles from Camilo as well, who repeated over and over again how he lamented. They just couldn't control the joy they felt.