six

It was a Friday and Mira was currently in a studio, cleaning. Today was the start of her new job and she already finished multiple rooms.

She was wiping the mirror quietly. Currently, the sky was already dark and most of the workers went home.

As she moved towards the window, the door abruptly opened. It made Mira turn her head in surprise.

"Ay sorry may tao pala." The one who opened the door was a girl. She was wearing a cap, a black printed tee and black ripped pants with combat boots.

"Naglilinis lang po." Mira quietly said.

The girl looked at her and noticed the uniform, "Ohh okay. Gabi na po ah hindi pa kayo umaalis?"

Mira just nodded and continued cleaning which made the new comer raise her eyebrows as she went inside the studio.

She walked by the speakers and saw that it was turned off. "Pinatay niyo po ung speakers?"

Facing the girl, Mira again nodded and said "Yes po. Walang tao kanina." She saw the girl giving a forced smile and switching the devices on. It made Mira curious on why the girl who seemed like a dancer employee was still here and thinking of practicing.

"Di ka pa uuwi? I mean," Realizing that her words somehow felt bitchy with her intonation, she tried to quickly think of how to rephrase.

But before she could speak again, the girl has an eyebrow raised—slightly amused, slightly dismayed. "Hindi pa, may imomonitor pa muna bago umuwi."

"Ilan tao ka na ate?" The girl asked again. Mira was tucking away the rug she was using and grabbing her cleaning tools, she replied "twenty-two."

"Ah mas matanda pala ako, ano name mo?"

Mira looked at the girl, "Mira."

The girl nodded, "Cielo."

Before going out, Mira wanted to see Cielo dance first. Not because she especially wanted to see the girl dance but because she wanted to know how it felt like to dance, again. But Cielo was taking her time on the device and Mira wanted to go home already so she went out without saying any words.

The next day

A loud ringing from Mira's phone finally woke up the girl. It was the fifth time the phone had rung. When Mira got her phone and saw the time and who was calling, she immediately went out of bed, even tripping to get a decent shirt.

"Gosh, why didn't I wake up. Talaga naman oh."

While in a hurry, she accidentally hit the coffee table in the living room with a glass of water that she left there last night. The glass fell on the ground with a loud noise making Mira groan. "Good morning to me." She grumbled as she hurriedly got out of the unit, not bothering to close the door properly.

Mira stepped out of the gate and saw the person calling her. "Officer."

"Mira! Buti naman nagpakita ka na akala ko mapapareport ako ng wala sa oras eh."

It was the officer in charge of her, Officer Manalo. The one who referred her to a part time job in the gasoline station. He was in charge to monitor her in the outside world – his words – and they have a schedule every Saturday morning; she has to report to him.

"Kamusta ang bagong apartment? Maayos naman? Hindi ka naman nasangkot sa mga away?" He was holding a clipboard holder with a pen like he was checking off a grocery list.

Mira internally sighed, "Yes, maayos naman. No, walang away."

"How's your work? Okay naman ung nirefer ko sayo?"

"Yes, thank you." Mira didn't bother to tell that she got another job.

"Hmmm," the officer lingered at the clipboard before looking at the compound. "Kamusta ang bagong lugar mo?"

'Tinanong na kanina tinanong pa ulit.' Mira fought back the urge to sigh loudly, knowing the next question the officer will ask.

"'Di ko parin maintindihan bat ayaw mo sa bahay ng family mo? Doon wala ka ng babayaran, sayong sayo ang bahay at lupa."

"Is that all officer? Balik na ako sa unit ko, salamat."

Officer Manalo sighed and stood straight. "Ilang lingo na lang matatapos na weekly report mo, hindi mo na ako makikita."

He patted Mira's shoulder and as he walked back to his car he said, "Have a peaceful life, Mira."

'That's all I wanted. Peaceful.'

She was walking back to her place and saw her door was wide open. "What the?" Mira quickly went inside and saw someone crouching on the living room floor.

"Anong ginagawa mo?!" She couldn't contain the bubbling annoyance. Mira doesn't like it when someone's in her space without her permission.

"Mira, hey uhm nakabukas kasi ung pinto and nakarinig ako ng ingay tas nakita kong may basag," Aliyah turned around, still crouching, and started rambling when she saw Mira.

"Sino nagsabing pwede kang pumasok?"

"I'm sorry, Nakita ko kasi ung basag and naisipan kong linisin and- "

"Sinabi ko bang linisin mo?!" Mira closed her eyes shut; she knew she wasn't annoyed at Aliyah. She was annoyed at the officer's question earlier. She breathed in and out trying to calm herself.

"No, I'm sorry." Aliyah said quietly as she stood up. She bit her lip and avoided Mira's eyes.

Mira sighed, 'I shouldn't have yelled.' She was regretting it instantly when she saw how Aliyah's face fell.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have yelled." Mira mumbled shamefully not looking at Aliyah. She turned towards where the broke glass was earlier and saw it was already cleaned. She also noticed that Aliyah was still holding a large chunk of glass.

She walked towards her and grabbed the glass, "Akin na baka masugatan ka pa."

"Ako na, ako naman naglinis." Mira looked at Aliyah and the girl was giving a small smile.

"Did you have a bad morning? Want coffee?"

Now she felt even guiltier. Why was the girl so nice?

"Wag na, maabala ka pa."

"Okay lang! Sorry gift na lang for coming in here without your permission."

That's how they were now eating breakfast together inside Mira's unit. Aliyah seemed like she was enjoying her breakfast while looking out the window. Mira's table was beside a window so the sunlight was hitting the side of Aliyah's face.

It was a nice aesthetic as Mira looked at the person in front of her. She wouldn't deny it, Aliyah was pretty. Even if she was annoyed the first time they met, and was annoyed most of the time they meet.

"Look, there's a park nearby. Maganda siya lalo na kapag may dog ka, it's nice to walk with a pet." Aliyah said while pointing out her finger.

"Do you have a pet?" Mira absentmindedly asked and sipped her coffee.

"Do you want to go there?"

Mira stopped from sipping and raised an eyebrow, "Are you saying I'm a pet?"

"What no! - "Aliyah stopped for a moment when she realized what her words could have meant. She laughed and said, "Oh my gosh that wasn't what I meant!" She continued laughing, "But pwede naman, ung dog ko nasa Cebu eh. Ikaw nalang pet ko."

Mira frowned and shook her head as she continued to sip her coffee. She can't believe she's spending her breakfast with Aliyah; she couldn't believe she was spending breakfast with someone at all!

"Hey pet, ano? Want to go to the park?"

"Whatever." She mumbled. Mira wants to sleep but Aliyah's bright and excited face made her afraid to say no.