thirty one

Mira quietly sat on the bed after fixing her clothes. It was a very exhausting day, physically and mentally.

She sighed and could feel the soreness of her body. Mira decided to lay down while Aliyah hasn't called her yet.

Moving her eyes around, Aliyah's room surely speaks volume of her character. It was so clean – though of course Aliyah haven't been here for a while so maybe it was her mother that's been cleaning – but the things in here: the books, the polaroid pictures on the wall, the paintings, and the small cactus plant by the widow are so Aliyah.

"Huh, a cactus." She whispered to herself.

Everything was in place and organized. Even the colors are minimalistic but at the same time with character.

Like a white canvas, splashed with various of colors.

"Mira." Aliyah opened the door and went inside. "Kain na."

"Okay." She sat up and stretched her arms.

"Is that your cactus?" Mira asked as she stood in front of Aliyah.

"Ha? Oh yeah, that's mine. Iniwan ko dito bago ako pumuntang Manila. Galing nga eh buhay parin siya." Aliyah smiled fondly.

"Bat di mo sinama?"

"I wanted a reminder to come back. But anyways, tara kain na di ka paba gutom?"

Mira followed the girl to the dining table to eat. Tita Ellie was also there, sat in front of Aliyah, watching the two of them eating.

"Ilan taon ka na Mira?"

At the sudden question, Mira quickly gulped her food to reply. "Twenty-two po." She coughed.

"Ah, estudyante pa?" Tita Ellie glanced at Aliyah first then back at Mira.

"Hindi po, nag tratrabaho po. Part time, sa gas station at agency building."

Aliyah's mom nodded. "Nakapagtapos ka ba?"

"Ma, patapusin mo muna kumain." Aliyah complained.

Mira shook her head. "Hindi po."

Tita Ellie hummed as she stared at Mira.

"Magandang babae." She nodded her head. "May jowa?"

Aliyah almost burst out her water she was currently drinking. "Ma!"

Tita Ellie glared at Aliyah, "Ung tubig mo naman Aliyah, bata ka pa ba?"

"Uhmm... "Mira glanced at Aliyah first and awkwardly said, "Wala po?"

Aliyah frowned.

"Hindi pa sure?" Tita Ellie asked.

"Ah opo-"

Aliyah rolled her eyes, "It's complicated."

"Shush ikaw ba si Mira?"

Aliyah pouted at her mom.

Mira continued eating while the mother and daughter argued.

"Kunin mo na lang tong plato niyo, hugasan mo don dali. Daming satsat eh."

Aliyah groaned and couldn't do anything. She got up and grabbed their plates. She turned to Mira, "Wait lang I'll just clean this. I'll be back."

Now Mira was nervous. Because she's alone with Aliyah's mom.

This is more nerve wrecking than the time she first met Aliyah's friends.

"How's my daughter? Masaya ba siya sa Manila? Sa trabaho niya?"