fourteen

Aliyah was on a phone call with Mayu inside her car after the interview earlier.

"Tapos mo na ung interview?" Mayu asked.

"Oo tapos na. Okay naman mabilis lang ung interview tight sched daw eh."

"Kakatapos ko lang din mag edit ng photos and ung set ni Sir mukhang scary. Parang may something fishy sakanya eh though hindi ko alam kung ano."

Aliyah fixed the rear-view mirror and started the engine. "Ung aura niya ganon?"

"Oo, fishy ung aura niya o sadyang seafood lang kasi kinain namin ni Gigi."

She snorted at Mayu's corny joke. "Funny ka?"

"Ha ha. Pero serious ang sketchy niya talaga, kaya ayaw ko sa mga business person eh."

"Hindi porket business person ung ex mo ibigsabihin lahat ng nagbubusiness sketchy na rin." Aliyah laughed and teased Mayu.

"Luh! Hindi ko yon ex, hindi naman naging kami. NBSB kaya ako!"

"Okayyyy. Anyways mag drive na ako Mayu call you again later. Gagawin ko na rin pala ung article."

"Sure sige, ingat tita Liyuh."

Aliyah put down her phone and started driving back home.

After meeting up with Officer Manalo, Mira was relieved that the guy didn't annoy her that much and didn't asked questions that would trigger her again. But of course, he still said some 'life advices' that Mira honestly doesn't need to hear every time they meet.

Getting paroled for good behavior gives pressure like a high achiever elementary kid going to a prestige university. The officer probably was also pressured in making sure Mira won't go sideways or crazy again. 

That's why, even in the last week of checking up on her he still makes sure to remind her to live a 'peaceful' life. And that's also what Mira wanted, to live peacefully.

She was walking back to the compound with plastic bags in hand when a car passed by her and suddenly slowed down. Mira furrowed her eyebrows, it looked like-

"Hi Mira!" Aliyah rolled down the window of the passenger seat and waved. She looked really excited.

Mira doesn't know why but she felt herself blushing and felt giddy at seeing the girl. She hasn't seen her for days since Monday. The girl must have been so busy, Mira would only see her when Aliyah was in a hurry going to work in the morning.

"Tara, sabay ka?"

She felt her heart skipped a beat.

"Huh? Uh wag na malapit lang naman."

"Nandito na rin naman ako and ayaw kitang iwan knowing I can give you a ride." Aliyah shrugged and looked expectantly at Mira.

So, she agreed and went inside Aliyah's car. Mira was awkwardly fixing her seat belt; she couldn't extend it further and it was stuck.

Seeing Mira struggling, Aliyah helped and leaned in front of the girl to get the belt. Mira instantly stiffened at the close proximity. She smells like lavender. 

She tried so hard not to breathe or let the girl know how fast her heart was racing right now. It felt like Aliyah would hear her heartbeat by how close she is to Mira.

A few seconds past, it felt like hours for Mira but after Aliyah helped, her shoulders were still tensed.

Aliyah noticed and said, "You can relax, hindi kita kikidnapin." She giggled as she started driving again.

Mira accidentally let out a heavy breath, making Aliyah glance at her.

"Okay ka lang? Kumain ka na ba?"

She shook her head, "kakabili ko lang ng pagkain."

"Oh ayang hawak mo? Ano binili mo?"

"Ramen. Gusto mo?"

"Ramen? Puro noodles na nga nasa unit mo." Aliyah said disapprovingly.

"I was craving."

"Craving for sodium?"

Mira playfully rolled her eyes. "Sodium and Japanese ramen. This is different from the ones in my kitchen drawer."

It was just a short ride, in just a few they were already in the parking lot. Aliyah took off her seat belt and turned to Mira.

"You like Japanese foods? I like those too." She smiled.

"Gusto mo? Marami akong binili."

"Sure."

They both got out of the car. Mira was waiting as Aliyah was getting some documents from the compartment.

The two decided to share the food in Aliyah's unit. Mira was the one cooking it while Aliyah was in her office study room organizing some papers.

Opening her laptop, Aliyah was holding her notes from earlier and re reading them. She agrees with Mayu, the man was kind of off-putting.

Her phones then suddenly rang, it was Mayu again.

"Hello teh!"

"Bakit? Kakauwi ko lang." Aliyah said.

"May nalaman ako kay Sir Sevilla."

"Ano yon?"

"Nag sesearch kami ni Gigi about sakanya kase nga diba nakakacurious ung aura niya parang ayaw ko na sakanya agad eh wala pa naman siyang ginagawa."

"Tapos sikat pala talaga family nila at sobrang yaman. Sila may ari ng mga hotels dito." Mayu continued.

Aliyah was getting curious, "Tapos? Ano meron?"

"Tapos, six years ago namatay ung buong pamilya nila! Si Sir Sevilla lang naka survive."

"What?"

"Oo, ayun lang laman ng mga news paper dati, remember about sa sunog sa Baguio? Nung highschool tayo, ung sikat na issue."

"Ohhhh. Shocks."

"Yeah shocking. Kaya siguro ganon aura niya?"

"Well ikaw ba naman mamatayan ng pamilya...baka nga kaya ganon." Aliyah nodded.

"Pero may something familiar sa surname niya eh hindi ko lang malaman kung ano."

Aliyah was about to reply when she heard a knock and the door opened. It was Mira, peeking her head at the door. She smiled and mouthed wait

Cutie ni Mira, she thought.

"Uhh Mayu kakain lang muna ako ng lunch, ikaw din kain na kayo ni Gigi."

"Ay sige sure, kumain na kami ni Gigi eh. Bye, eat well tita Liyah!"

"Bye!"

She put her phone down and looked at Mira. "Luto na?"

Mira nodded and they both went out to the dining table.

"Wow mukhang masarap ah, may special egg pa." Aliyah grinned at the ramen with hard boiled eggs and nori.

"And nori!" She continued as she took a sit.

"Ginaya ko lang ung nasa picture sa pack." Mira said and sat as well.

"Uhuh pwede ka nang cookerist." Aliyah teased and grabbed her spoon.

Mira shook her head at the girl and started eating.