Chapter 17

Y/n's P.O.V.

Small time skip

For quite a long time, I still could not figure out what type of madness had overcome Kanroji-san that day she had joyfully allowed me to accompany her to the festival.

Whether she had just completely lost all her senses, or whether a demon had taken over her being from the mere looks of it.

What led her to do such things that seemed, correction, was not what an average person would do in these circumstances? I had no idea.

It was in the middle of the on-going festival and Kanroji-san was going around all the concession stands, robbing them of all their food and all the prizes while she shoved all of them effortlessly in her mouth.

The spectators stood there awstroke at her doings but to my surprise, the woman herself looked like she had no care in the world at the looks and gazes being sent towards her.

Situations like that made me wonder, 'Does she come to festivals just for the food?'. But I would be lying if I said that half of my reasons for going to festivals were not for the tasty delicacies served.

Aside from that fact alone, the festival was entertaining and fun being that I fully enjoyed the celebrations that took place while we roamed around it. The people were also pleasant to be with.

"So y/n-chan..." the pink haired lady muffled, almost whispering seeing that she was talking with her mouth still stuffed with food.

In a quick second, she had quickly swallowed all the contents in her mouth before slowly snapping her head to my direction, and at the same time, directing her attention towards her.

"Did you enjoy the festival?" she inquisited as her eyes glittered in the small hope she had about my likings to the activity we had just gone through.

"It was very fun!" I replied joyfully, looking around the area and taking in the scenery again as it was still a breath-taking sight like when I first laid my eyes on it an hour or so ago.

The mint eyed Hashira nodded looking above at the decorations still put up on the houses of the town, thoughts filling up her head in the process.

"Say y/n-chan?" she asked me before I happily hummed as a response for her to go on and continue what looked like she had to say to me.

"What do you think about Tokito-kun?" she inquired from me allowing my eyes to slightly widen at the sudden question but quickly had I shrugged it off and brought myself to answer the inquiry.

"Muichiro? He's...how do I put this? Light-minded?" I responded, noticing the hint of dissatisfaction that remained in her mint eyes.

"What about friendship wise?" she had questioned again, raising my curiosity on why she inquired about this matter specifically.

"He's a great friend if you really think about it" I replied, hopefully ending her streak of questions but got a gush of relief when I heard a small sigh escape her pink lips.

"Alright then. I'll take you home!" Mitsuri exclaimed brightly, taking my hand in hers and dragging me away before I could react and match her movements.

A couple minutes had passed and my shoulders lowered due to a sense of calmness and peace that had overcome me to let me get my guard down for even a split second.

It wasn't until that day that I realized that just a second could end your life. Luckily, if Kanroji wasn't there with me, I would have gotten seriously injured.

At the precise moment I had let my guard down, quite suspiciously, an extremely fast slashed attack presumably by a demon landed a hit on my left shoulder.

Frightening enough, another one was sent too quickly for me to follow, but fortunately, Mitsuri-san used her whip-like sword to divert the attack from me.

'What was that?' my mind's assertive thinking kicked in while I swiftly pulled out my sword from my scabbard and pointed it in the direction in front of me.

"Are you hurt y/n-chan?" the woman that was positioned ahead of me asked me, finally turning around to meet me and seeing the not so deep cut on my left shoulder.

"I'm fine" I reassured her, tilting my head away from her and hastily turning it to try and sense where the demon had dashed to.

"And I thought I cleared all the demons in the area" she whispered tiredly and as if she was worn-out already from the festival we had just attended.

There was a loud silence growing in the room that even the breeze that swept by us was getting irritatingly more audible as time sped up.

From in front of me, I had heard the pink-haired Hashira take a quite refreshing and relieved sigh before I caught sight of her action of putting her sword back in its original scabbard.

"Looks like it left" she mumbled to herself a bit too joyfully if I may add.

"Let's take you back home y/n-chan! I'll check up here later" Mitsuri stated, turning back to look at my being that was slowly losing energy without my conscious realizing it.

"Y/n-chan?" kanroji-san asked me, various signs of being worried were shown in the tone of her voice as that was the last statement I heard her say to me before everything fell dark.

Time skip

A loud noise erupted from somewhere in the place I laid allowing my body to wake up from it's sleeping state and take awareness of its surroundings.

"Shhhh! You'll wake y/n-sama up!" a tiny and low voice had spoken in that direction while I tried standing up from a comfortable object I was laying in.

I looked at where the noise had come from to be met with the three little girls that assisted Kocho-sama's estate.

If my memory had not failed me, their names were Sumi, Naho and Kiyo?

"Where...am I?"

Word count: 1009 words.