seis

Visit Six:

Reason: Check up

Symptoms: None

Time in: 1:00 pm September 14th, 2021

The doctor jumped at the sudden, "Hello, Minjeong!" that sounded throughout her office as Jimin entered. Ryujin set the chart on top of the counter, gave a small wave to both of them, and left. Usually it was the other way around with her patient waiting, but since her lunch break had been the only thing prior to the appointment, she thought it was better to just get it over with.
However, she wasn't expecting her to be so energetic, or more energetic than usual.

Seriously, what batteries did this girl run on? Jimin practically bounced into the office, lifting herself onto the examine table with a single jump. "How are you today?" She asked, swaying from side to side.

It was almost cute. In a toddler-y way, and still completely annoying and horrid and awful

Obviously.

To top the whole toddler thing off, she was literally wearing overalls. Under them was a white, sideless tank top. If you looked close enough you could see a blue bra underneath it, not that the doctor wanted to look or anything.

"Minjeong?" Jimin called out, followed out by a more obnoxious, "Helllllloooo."

"What?" She snapped back.

"Woah, geez. I just asked how you were." She put her hands back in a defensive gesture.

"Oh. I'm doing fine, Ms. Yu." Minjeong gave a small smirk when she heard her patient sigh. "Give me a moment to look over your blood work from the last visit," She said just before sitting down at the small desk in her office, planted at the computer.

As she looked through she could hear the constant shifting of wax paper underneath the taller, crinkling every other second. "Could you stop that?" She asked, not looking away from the screen. The noise stopped, and she could once again hear the low music playing from her office radio.

"Nice music," The idol noted, her voice overpowered the light piano that was playing. "Who is it?"

Minjeong slowly closed her eyes, letting out a heavy breath. "Chopin."

"Are you a big fan?"

"I guess."

"Been to any of his live shows?"

She stood up, wrapping the stethoscope around her shoulders. "Considering he died in 1849, no."

The idol laughed a little at that. "Oh, so he's a classic guy. Like Beethoven."

"Sure. You're blood work came back fine. A little low on count, but better than before."

"Who's your favorite artist? Like, from today. Do you see any shows and stuff? Favori--"

"Open," Minjeong said, holding out a thermometer. What was up with the 21 questions?

Karina let out an over dramatic, "Ahhh," holding out the flat of her tongue for the thermometer to go in smoothly.

"Temperature is fine," The smaller said, pulling it out. "And I don't think you'd know who my favorite performers were, Ms. Yu." She held the bell of her stethoscope over her chest. "Slow breaths."

"And why is that?" Karina asked, a little less chipper and a lot more - well, the only way to describe it was pissed. Minjeong looked up to watch her lips turn down into a scowl. "I don't know the name of one dead guy and suddenly I'm, what? Too dumb to know all classical artist?"

Minjeong visibly rolled her eyes. "Slow bre--"

"No. Answer me, that's why you don't like me, isn't it? You think I'm some dumb, bubbly idol. You think that you're music is too good for anything I do, right?"

Minjeong pursed her lips together, listening to a few quickened beats. She didn't want to have this conversation, she didn't even want Jimin as a patient in the first place. Why was she obligated to act like she liked the woman? "You forgot infuriating," Minjeong finally said, pulling away. She hadn't meant to let that slip out and could mentally hear her father scolding her. Bedside manner had never been her thing. Difficult conversations hadn't either.

The idol shoved herself off the examination table, her face bright red and hands shaking. "You know, I might not be a doctor, but I do a lot of good for people, too, and without being totally rude. All I ever wanted to do was make people smile, and make them happy - and I've done that." Karina took in a deep breath.

"I've had letters of people thanking me, people who have said I helped them through hard times, through their worst times. I'm an idol and proud of it, and I'm good at what I do. Just like you're a doctor and clearly an arrogant one. Thinking I'm less of a performer just because I'm not Chopin or Beethoven or Wagner or whoever, is like me thinking less of you as a doctor just because you aren't a surgeon. So get off of whatever high horse you're on Kim Minjeong because not everyone wants to look up all the time!"

With that, the idol stormed out of the office, leaving the doctor - not for the first time - speechless. But also a little hurt.