life and death

——— ❅ ———

——— ❅ ———

Sam looks to Bucky as Bucky twists the small notebook in his hands as he sits across from him at the bar. Sam narrows his eyes at Bucky as Bucky stares at the tiled floor below him, completely zoned out. Sam snaps his fingers in front of Bucky's face and clears his throat.

Bucky looks to him and Sam says "...You alright? You're doing that stare thing again."

Bucky grumbles and says "Yeah.. I just have to run some errands and I'm dreading them."

"Well, what do you have to do?"

"I've gotta go to the market."

"That's not that bad. If it's really that hard for you to go to the market today maybe just go tomorrow." Sam suggests

Bucky shakes his head and says "No. I have to go today.. I need to buy flowers."

Sam smiles and says "Ah! I see what this is about!"

"..you do?"

"Of course I do. You've got a date."

Bucky shakes his head and says "No. You couldn't be any more wrong. I need to visit the cemetery and replace some flowers."

Sam's smile wipes off his face quickly and he says "Oh. Man I'm sorry. Who are you paying your respects to?" Bucky sighs and says "It isn't important. It's just something I have to do. Closure or something like that."

Sam looks to Bucky's amend book he's fiddling in his hands and says "It's the last name on your list isn't it?" Bucky looks up and says "What?"

"Bucky you can't have someone's name on the list that's dead. Unless you do something for the family. Did this person you're visiting have family?"

Yeah. Him.

Bucky shakes his head and says "They're all gone too." Sam shakes his head and says "Want me to go to the cemetery with you?"

Bucky sighs and says "No. I need to do this myself."

"Is there an importance to doing this today?"

Bucky looks down to his notebook saying "It's the day she died."

"She?"

Bucky's jaw tightens and he nods. Sam sighs and rubs his temples. "I'm sorry buck." Bucky nods and says "I'll see you tomorrow, Sam."

He exits the bar after leaving cash on the bar counter and walking towards the market.

He looks to the large florist stand and grabs the white daisy's. He slides the cash towards the florist and starts walking down the roads of Brooklyn

Approaching a familiar cemetery he sighs heavily. He pushes the metal gate, the loud creaking noise turning attention to him for a moment

He walks through the stone pathway following the trees.