𝐯𝐢. - tenevaya vorona

04 | TENEVAYA VORONA

For years, Durmstrang institute was the home of many remarkable witches and wizards. Durmstrang produced great wixens, but not all those great ones were considered good.

The castle was unplottable, covered by mountains, and surrounded by lakes. It was cold. It was always cold for the students and staff alike. However, what could they expect from an institute that mainly housed those from northern and Eastern Europe?

Durmstrang was a school that prided itself on blood purity. Not a single muggle-born had stepped foot in the school, regardless of whether or not, half of the students didn't agree with the school's belief in mudbloods. But the school had taught the dark arts. Students were taught the values of tradition, history, and culture, and thus that includes the dark arts of their world.

Unlike Hogwarts, the school which has practically banned the practice of dark magic, Durmstrang encouraged the students for it. Magic was Magic, and the world has shunned the school for balancing magic itself amongst students. While light magic was welcomed, dark magic was encouraged to rekindle the dying flame of it's magic.

A wixen child does not choose what kind of core they are born with. Dark, light, grey. Students of those specific cores are given certain classes that the others cannot, however, if a student wishes to participate they may do so as they please. Such as the dark arts, most students with dark or grey cores participate in the class.

Unlike Hogwarts, the school was not devides into four houses. However, in some cases; such as quidditch, the school has created four teams to play against eachother. Durmstrang didn't have houses, but they devided students into faculties based on their interests. Each faculty provided unique or special education that gives them a steady base for the careers once they graduate.

The five faculties being; martial faculty, memory faculty, nature faculty, linguistics faculty, ans the exploration faculty.

Students often opted to choose just one, but there were certain exceptions when the career you are interested in involved multiple of the faculties. This was rare, but it happened every so often in generations.

But as Slytherin's reputation fell for housing Lord Voldemort, Durmstrang's reputation turned dark upon the former dark lord, Gellert Grindelwald.

"Students of the year before, I welcome you back!" Igor Karkaroff, the current headmaster and former death eater grinned at the massive hall filled with students. He trailed his gaze from the right to the left, giving them a satisfied look.

"To our new first years, to our new students―I welcome you to Durmstrang institute! Our grand and honorable school of witches and wizards, destined to be great. Our school, welcomes you all, and hope that you come to call it home." He outstretched his arms in a form of welcome, but there was a certain boy who couldn't help but roll his eyes at the theatrics. Karkaroff was not a proper headmaster, and he was placed in such a situation to trap him.

Every single student could understand Karkaroff, courtesy of the enchantments all around the school. Language spells, enchantments, charms, and ruins engraved upon the walls so students may communicate with ease.

This was the difference between Beauxbatons and Hogwarts to Durmstrang. Rather than limited to their own country, witches and wizards of magical families from all over northern Europe came to Durmstrang to learn.