Chapter 2 Jordan catches a pokemon

“I choose…. Bulbasaur” I say, confident in my choice. Professor Oak nods before handing me the pokéball. Man, holding a pokéball feels so weird, yet so cool.

I can feel the little hole on top to make it smaller, like how they do it in the anime. I hold out the pokéball “Ok Bulbasaur, come on out.” I say, and the pokéball opens and out pops my new companion.

I couldn't believe it, my Bulbasaur was not the normal blueish green, it was a bright green. It was a shiny Bulbasaur wow I am known for having good luck at times, but this is just ridiculous. The Bulbasaur looks around confused and then looks up at me, “Hi there I'm Jordan, and I am your trainer. I hope we can get along.” I say with my kindest tone.

“Really, you picked me? Wow, thanks. Nobody ever picks me because of my colors,” The Bulbasaur says. Its voice sounds familiar to me. It sounds like the English dub voice of Deku, only a hit higher pitched.

“Professor, does nobody pick this guy because of the way he looks?” I asked curious about this Bulbasaur’s story and when I asked, the Bulbasaur looks up surprised that I understood him.

“Yes, unfortunately, nobody does even though he is very kind to everyone, but they never choose him because of his looks. If you want, I can get you a normal Bulbasaur or another starter if you want, that is.” Oak says. I look shocked before looking down at the little guy. I pet his head with a smile.

“No, thank you, Professor. I want this little guy. If nobody will choose him, I will!” I say smiling. My hand was to my chest in a compelling pose, and the room falls silent. Where’s your spotlight now? Eat your heart out, Gary, I can’t help but think at the moment.

The Bulbasaur starts to tear up a little “Thank you so much, I promise I won't let you down!” he says jumping into my arms, surprising me.

“Oh wow I have never seen them do that before they are pretty shy to new people,” the professor says surprised.

“Jordan has always had a way with Pokémon,” Gary says, looking at me.

“Well that's always a good thing, I can't wait to see what Pokémon you will befriend,” the professor says while smiling at me. He then hands us our Pokédexes and pokéballs. I hold my trusty new device over Bulbasaur, and at the click of a button, ”Entry 001. Bulbasaur. The Seed Pokémon. It can go for days without eating a single morsel. In the bulb on its back, it stores energy.” the Pokédex says.

“Wow, that's cool that you can do that,” I say surprised as I don't really remember the Pokédex entries. The Bulbasaur blushes a bit embarrassed, “Oh it's nothing. All Bulbasaur do it; thanks for the compliment though.” he says, smiling shyly.

I take up the pokéballs, and I’m just about to return the little Bulbasaur to it, but he shakes his head “I don't like being in there, please don't put me back.” he says a bit scared. You can tell from the rising and dropping of his tone. “Thank you for understanding…this…means a lot.” I nod and put away the pokéball on my waist that has a clip attached it appears to be magnetic so that's how they do it on the show and games.

I pick up the little guy and put him on my shoulder, he isn't heavy at all, despite their usual 15 pounds (6.8 kg). It feels nice, and I bet it looks adorable to others. We decide to go out to the back garden to get somewhat used to our partners.

Well, Paul left to start his journey already as he said he didn't have time for this, he does not change at all, wow. I set the little guy down. “Hey Bulbasaur, would you like it if I gave you a nickname?” I ask the little guy.

His eyes sparkle and he begins to smile, “A nickname! Really? I would love one! I have always wanted one.” he says, smiling.

I already knew what I was gonna name him. “How about Izuku or Midoriya,” I say, referring to an anime that I like. I always name my Pokémon after anime or video game characters, it's a habit.

“I'm happy with either, you can call me either one, I don't mind.” The newly dubbed Izuku says happily.

We were only out there for maybe ten minutes, and it turns out that the other trainer had already come over and got the Charmander. I wonder who it was, oh well. Gary and I head out, and we see Ash in his pajamas without his iconic Pikachu. I also notice that Gary doesn't have his car or any of the cheerleaders or girls like he did in the anime, weird. I take it back! It's weirder having a ten-year-old driving around with girls shouting his name. Two words: Gary. Oak.

“Hey, guys, you already got your Pokémon.” He says, noticing Izuku on my shoulder. “Of course we did, Ashy boy; we didn't oversleep like you did.” Gary says as he smirks at him. With an ever so carefree shrug.

 “So Gary, what did you pick?” Ash asks curiously.

“That's none of your business! If you showed up on time, you would've seen that I got the best Pokémon from Professor Oak. It's good to have a grandfather in the Pokémon business, isn't it?” Gary says with yet another smirk, before running off to start his journey. Two words: Gary. Oak.

“Good luck, Ash, I'm gonna leave. I hope you will be able to get a starter later.” I saw him waving to me as I walk away. He waves back with a childlike groan before he walks back into the lab. Izuku and I make it to Route 1. “Ok, Izuku, let's add a new companion to our team. I already have one in mind.” I say as I look around for a certain Pokémon.

“Really? Who do you have in mind.” asks the curious Izuku.

"Well, I would like a flying type for our team…” I say while my mind wanders as I look for a flying type. I see some high in the skies, and also a couple of wild Rattata. I keep looking, and there it was. Alone on the ground was a Pidgey.

"Ok, Izuku, we are gonna catch that Pidgey over there,” I point to it while it breaks the ground for food. “are you ready for our first battle?” I ask excitedly. Izuku nods a bit anxious before jumping down from my shoulder to the Pidgey. I hold out my Pokédex to Izuku to see his moves, “Bulbasaur’s moves are Tackle and Growl.” The dex says.

I'm not surprised, just making sure he doesn't know like Solar Beam or something along the lines. “Huh, a human wanting to battle me? Bring it on, but I'm not going down easy.” the feral Pidgey says smirking, or at least I think it's smirking, hard to tell with a beak. Then all too a sudden, I can see what appears to be a text box appear above the Pidgey kind of like how it is in the games. The Pidgey doesn’t seem very experienced, looking at it twice. This will be a fair fight, from the looks of it.

"Ok, Izuku use Tackle!" I command him.

“On it!” Izuku responds. “Take this!” Izuku cries, as he strikes the Pidgey, who takes about maybe 15 percent of its health.

"Ok that hurt… take my Gust attack!” the Tiny Bird Pokémon says while beating his wings hard, and kicking up a powerful wind and…CRASH!… wow that is powerful. It damages Izuku it takes about ten percent of his health.

Gust is a normal type move in Gen 1 but then again, Paul has a Turtwig here, and, well, agh! This is hurting my head… “Ok, use Tackle one more time,” I say, pointing to the bird.

“Ok! Here we go!” Izuku says, taking a running start. He makes a good clean hit on the Pidgey, knocking it to the ground. That should cause more damage; it had to have been a critical hit.

Taking out a pokéball from my pocket, I enlarge it, “Ok, here we go. Go pokéball!” I yell, throwing the ball at the Pidgey. It hits the tiny bird Pokémon and gets sucked into it.

It shakes, and Izuku and I watch nervously. It continues to shake for about five more seconds before it stops, and you can hear a ting, signaling the Pidgey was caught. I am shocked that worked so easily. I walk over to the ball and I pick it up. "Wow, I can't believe it. I just caught my first Pokémon!” I say excitedly and Izuku jumps into my arms happily.