Chapter 8 - Battle Training

"I am coming in through the door like a normal person!"

"I can't believe All Might's actually going to be teaching us!"

"He's in his silver age costume, awesome!"

"Welcome to foundational hero studies, or as I like to call it, heroing 101! In this class, we will be putting you through various tests to build up your foundation as a hero! And the first of those tests will be... battle training!"

A battle test, huh? For a first test, that seems a bit extreme, don't you think? Especially with kaachan here! I'm willing to bet there will be at least 3 casualties by the end of this!

"And for your first battle, we have prepared your custom-designed hero costumes!"

"Hell yeah, we got battle gear!"

As everyone was grabbing theirs, I simply walked out the door. The only ones that seemed to take notice were All Might and Kirishima.

"Uh, hey Midoriya, where are you going?"

"My gear's somewhere else. Besides, I gotta get something too."

The battle training posed quite a problem for me. It was less of a problem of who I was up against, it was more a problem of what I had to go against them with. My sword cut through the entrance exam robots! Nothing short of portable tank armor would stop it! If I used that sword, someone would be killed, I know it. That's Kaachan's job, not mine.

So, I'm paying a visit to the support department. I'm hoping they can make at least a quick substitute in the 15-or-so minutes until training starts. As I reach the entrance, I hear what sounds like a machine going haywire amongst multiple people yelling.

"DAMMIT HATSUME, THAT'S YOUR 3RD INVENTION THAT'S EXPLODED, AND YOU'VE ONLY BEEN HERE 2 DAYS!"

"Minor setback, I need to make more of my babies, now!"

What the hell?

Should I even go in here?

Ah, it was probably nothing big.

I walked through the door, and saw Power loader, the support class teacher, and who I assume to be an especially eccentric pink-haired support student.

"Hello, Mr. Power Loader?"

"Wha? Aren't you one of the new hero course students? What're you doing here?"

"Yeah, I'm Izuku Midoriya, Class 1-A. We're about to go do battle training, and well, I use a sword in combat, but the problem is, mine is way too sharp for training. Is there any way you could whip up a quick replacement in the next few minutes?"

"Hmm... I'll see what I can do. Can I see the sword as a reference?"

I nodded, and then pulled the sword from my waist. I handed it to Power Loader, before the fact that the sword wasn't there before hit me, and I kinda just stared at the wall in confusion for a few seconds.

"Yeah, I should be able to. Give me 10 minutes."

10 minutes of waiting later

"Done."

I grabbed the sword from the table he set it on. It had a similar, albeit colorless guard and hilt as my normal sword, and instead of a blade, it just had a flattened bar of metal. Perfect.

"Will that work?"

"Yeah, this'll do fine."

As I turned to walk out the door, he spoke up again.

"Hey, mind if I ask a favor?"

"Oh, um, sure thing."

"Could you leave the sword here for a while? That thing's sharpness and durability are insane. I knocked it against a steel plate while working on the replacement, and it cut almost a half-inch into it, without even as much as a nick on the edge. I'd love to study it and see what it's made of."