Chapter eighteen

We were told to put on gloves and face coverings, then we were all sent out into town to recover anyone injured and help put names with dead faces. Jean looked over at me and his eyes widened for a moment before returning to normal. We started walking towards each other until we finally met, I looked up at him, "Jean I-" but he didn't let me finish, he wrapped his arms around my waste and pulled me close, Burying his face in my neck. He has never hugged me like this, I admit I was taken back a little but it didn't take long for me to loosen up and hug him back. After a moment he pulled away, "Common Rin, we have work to do." He said and began to walk away, I jogged to catch up with him. I was feeling Bold all of the sudden, so bold that when I caught up to Jean I linked arms with him. He looked down at me, I could see the blush on his cheeks, I felt my face heat up as well so I just avoided eye contact best I could. We started walking, it smelled of death, dead bodies littered the streets. Suddenly Jean stoped walking, and pulled his arm out of mine. I looked to were he was looking and my heart instantly stoped. I felt acid rise in my stomach and felt like a had a sudden fever when I saw the sight before me. Their is not way, no way that can be him. But my suspicion was confirmed when Jean spoke, "is-is that..Marco.." suddenly I couldn't take it, I leaned against the wall and vomited. Jean was shaking, he looked like he wanted to vomit as well. I walked back over to him, but when I looked at the body again, I couldn't handle it. I fell to my knees and started crying, I held my hand over my mouth ti insure it was silent, I hated crying but, I couldn't help it. Marco was my friend, my ray of absolute sunshine, I loved Marco. Suddenly a nurse approached us, "do you have a name for this one? It'd be helpful to know."
Jean kept shaking, "I was wondering where he was, but he's- he's not- Marco. What happened." The nurse spoke up again, "I need his name, we don't have time for this. Please son. It's been 2 days, that's 2 long."
Jean was silent for a moment. I held my hand tightly over my mouth, trying to contain my ugly cried, but when Jean spoke, I couldn't help the loud sob that followed.
"He was a member of the 104th cadet corps, captain of squad 19. Marco Bodt"
The nurse left. Leaving Jean a confused mess and me, a sobbing disaster on the ground. Suddenly I felt two arms around me, and I heard the sound of another crying. Jean, he held me and cried. And I held him, and cried.

———normal pov———
Eren woke up in a cell, and on the other side of that cell was 2 men. Captain Levi, and commander Erwin.
"Any questions?" Erwin asked him.
Levi was in shock at the people in front of him. Eren stuttered out, "I- I uh- were am I?"
Erwin replied sarcastically, "it's obvious, let's just call it a dungeon. You're currently in the custody of the Military police. We were granted permission to see you just now."
Erwin held up a key attached to a string.
"How'd you get that!" Eren said a bit to loud.
"Off of you. You'll get it back don't worry. Let's talk about home. The good doctors cellar in Shiganshina. Pretty big secret there right? About the titans maybe?"
Eren was taken back by the commanders words, how did he know so much, "I think so. That's what my dad said anyway." He said.
Now Levi spoke, "must suck having your dad and your memory. MIA at the same time. Unless that's just a cover story for you." This was the famous father of Eren's good friend Rin, and this was the first time he really heard his voice. Erwin glared at his friend, "Enough Levi. We've been over this, I've already told you he has no reasons to lie. But that's all we know. So how about you shed a little light on things for us by telling us your intentions Eren."
Eren's eyes widened, "what do you mean?"
Erwin sighed, "here the lay of the land, we want to pay that cellar a visit but we have to venture back into Shiganshina. Sealing the breach there like we did in Trost would be ideal, don't you think? And naturally we'll need your powers,any way you look at it, a Titans deciding our fate. It's also been conjectured that the Colossal and the Armored Titan are the same as you. That's why I ask your intentions. You could save us all."
Levi commented after, "it's an easy question common."
Eren gasped at the commanders words, he looked down for a moment to formulate a good response, before looking back up, "I don't know what I am." Eren suddenly started to breath heavily and spoke in a sadistic and blood thirsty tone, "I want to join the scouts and slaughter every Titan that crosses my path."
Levi looked at Eren unamused, "huh, well played. Alright then, I'll take responsibility for you. Tell the higher ups about this, not that I implicitly trust him of course, tho my daughter seemed pretty found of him. It's more of a matter of my trusting myself to deal with him. I'll kill him if it comes to that no matter how much the girl protests. It should be fine, my record more the speaks for itself. So, good news Jaeger, you're now officially a member of the scouts."

——Rin pov——-
I sat in the dinning hall with Jean, Reiner, Annie and Bertolt. We sat in silence, awkward silence, I couldn't eat, I just stirred my soup with my spoon. Reiner took notice of this, "Rin, you should eat. It's not healthy for you to be skipping meals like this." I didn't respond, I just dropped my spook. He continued, "I'm serious, don't make me force feed you I'll do it" he threatened. Jean looked over at Reiner with clear annoyance, "leave her alone she isn't hurting herself, I made sure she ate breakfast so I can take care of her just fine." Riner seemed taken back a bit but then smirked, "so you two finally made it official huh?" He teased. Finally I spoke up for myself, "cut it out. I don't need either of you to take care of me I'm perfectly capable." And as soon as I said that the doors opened, "cadet Mikasa Ackerman, Rin Ackerman and Armin Arlert. Hop to!" He announced. I stood up from the table and left without a word, honestly pretty annoyed with all of them.
The walk was silent. None of us spoke. It wasn't awkward like the silence at the table tho. This was, kinda comforting.

——-normal pov——
Eren sat in his cell, hoping that the commander would be back soon. He was starting to lose track of time. Then suddenly the doors swung open and a person stuck their face in the metal bars. A person with a brown ponytail and glasses, then they smiled and spoke to Eren happily, "so then you must be Eren, are you well? How are things? I'm so sorry you've had to wait so long. But here's your chance to finally get out. One thing, you'll have to wear these for me, okay?" They said happily unlocking Eren's cell and holding up a pair of hand cuffs. Then another guy approached, he was extremely tall and take blond hair. He did speak just stood there.
The three of them began walking down a long hall when the first person spoke up again, "my name is Zoe Hange, I'm a section commander for the scouts. And this is a fellow commander in the scouts, Miche Zacharius." They said motioning to the tall man, suddenly the man began to sniff Eren as Eren made an attempt to walk faster. Hange laughed at this, "oh don't mind him. He makes a habit of giving new people a good sniff. And tends to laugh through his nose a bit. I don't think he intends to be derisive tho. Quirks aside, he is a talented commander." Suddenly Eren realized, this was Miche and Hange, Rin talked about them a lot, especially Hange, "Hange, Miche, I remember her mentioning you." Eren said quietly, more to himself then to the people next to him, but Hange definitely heard it and they perked up instantly, "oh so you've heard of us then? I'm going to assume the Her you mentioned is Rin." Eren's eyes widened and then narrowed back to normal, "yea, she'd never stop talking about you." He said, a small smile formed in his face when he remembered Rin. Hange took note of this, "oh! So you do know my Rin! Levi mentioned that Rin was the one holding you and you came out of your Titan body. You're not dating her are you?" Eren choked and stumbled when Hange said this, "what? No way! She's just a good friend and someone I care about." He protested. Miche laughed and looked down at the flustered boy standing next to him. Hange sighed before raising their voice again, "well poo! Sorry to cut this short Eren but we're here now! I'm sure it's fine, it's probably better if I don't explain anything." Suddenly two guards grabbed Eren and forced him into a court room before having the doors shut behind him. Suddenly he was forced to his knees and chained to a pole like structure on the ground so he was unable to move his hands. He glared around the court room, he saw Erwin and Levi. And felt even more anxious when he saw Rin, Armin and Mikasa. Suddenly the doors opened and closed and an older man sat down, "okay, shall we begin now?"