Chapter 1

Rosalie POV

It had been less than twenty four hours since Edward saved Bella from that moronic boys van and I was on edge. As far as my family knew I was mad about Edward saving Bella and almost exposing us as vampire. There was some truth to that. Edward was an idiot. He could have saved her without sticking around to get the credit. Him playing hero and almost outed us.

They all thought I was mad that Bella was saved. That wasn't even close to being true. I was mad because Edward had been the one to save her. What my family didn't know is that I tried to save her. I started to run after her. Unfortunately Edward is faster than me. He got to her first. I doubted even Alice saw me try to save her. It wasn't so much a decision as an instinct.

The crowd surrounding the van had disappeared now that Bella was being taken to the hospital. Edward had insisted. For once I actually agreed with him. Although the van never touched her when it came to Bella it was always better to be safe.Suddenly I was not in the mood to go to school. I did not want to hear whispers about Bella in the halls. The majority of the school didn't care about her. She was simply the shiny new toy at school. It was disgusting but I didn't expect much from humans.

I could feel Jasper and Emmett's eyes on me as I turned away from them. I could hear the questions they were asking. 'Where are you going?' and 'What are you doing?' But I chose to ignore it. Alice said nothing. She knew where I was going, probably as soon as I made the decision to not go to school, maybe even before that.

I decided to go hunting. It wasn't that I needed to feed. It just gave me some time to myself so I could think. I had no idea what was wrong with me. I never cared about the safety of humans before. While I wasn't about killing innocent humans, if one was to die it wouldn't bother me, and I wouldn't try to save them. I didn't know what it was about Bella that made me want to save her. She was different than the normal humans I dealt with. Still that wasn't reason enough for me to want to save someone. I couldn't figure out Edward's interest in her either. Other than Bella being his singer. Despite my issues with Edward I had to admire his self-control. I knew from Emmett that it was next to impossible to resist your singer. Yet here Edward was, saving her life.

There was something I didn't trust about Edward's motives. I didn't know what it was about him that I didn't trust. I wasn't going to tell anyone about my suspicions until I was certain. The last thing I wanted to do was cause a big fight. I jumped up onto a tree branch and sat down. I closed my eyes and took in my surroundings. This was as close to sleep as I could get and I found it relaxing. I didn't like to do it often as it was easy for someone, or something to sneak up on me. Emmett did it once because he thought it would be funny. He didn't do it again after I ripped his arm off and hit him with it. Emmett. I sighed. I had almost forgotten about him. Emmett and I were as close as a pair of vampires could be while not being a mated pair. Originally we were thought to be mated. Carlisle's idea when he saw that I carried Emmett several miles so Carlisle could change him. I did see something in Emmett that made me want to save him. I wasn't sure what it was. Even now I wasn't sure what gave me the strength to save him. But it didn't matter. He was my best friend and I couldn't imagine not having him around.

"Rose," Emmett's soft voice called from the forest ground, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Emmett," I greeted, opening my eyes.

"Alice sent me," he told me. "She thought you could use someone to talk to."

Of course she did. "Did she tell you..." I trailed off. I didn't want to tell him if he didn't already know.

Emmett shook his head. "She knows whatever is going on with you but she refused to tell me. Told me you would tell me if I needed to know." He jumped into the same tree as me and sat down. Looking at Emmett you would never know he could move with such grace. It was a word often used to describe the rest of us but not Emmett.