Chapter 12

Bella POV

I heard the door shut. I turned and saw Edward was gone. I had been so focused on my Civil War assignment I had forgotten he was there. That was probably a good thing. Being around Edward was uncomfortable. Deep down I knew he wouldn't do anything to me. With all the vampires here, even if he wanted to hurt me it would never happen.

"You okay Bella?" Jasper asked concerned. "We can do this later."

"No, I'm fine." Jasper raised an eyebrow at me. "It's... I forgot Edward was here. Not until he just left."

Jasper nodded. "Good. Alice wanted to keep you distracted."

That didn't surprise me. I wondered why Alice brought up my assignment so soon after Edward arrived. The point of him coming was for us to get a chance to talk. But not much talking had occurred. "I feel bad. I didn't really talk to him but I know I should have."

"Did you feel comfortable talking to him?" Jasper questioned, even though he already knew the answer.

"No," I admitted. Edward was here and trying to do the right thing. Yet I felt so guilty for being uncomfortable around him. True he tried to kill me. But he was a vampire, like I told him. It was part of his nature to drink from humans and I was bleeding.

"It's okay to feel uncomfortable," Jasper said. "It's part of being human."

Rosalie walked over and wrapped her arms around me. "Jazz, Alice mentioned you were a Major in the Confederate Army," I began.

Jasper glanced at Alice. She shrugged. "I was," he confirmed. "Actually, I was the youngest Major in the Confederate Army. I lied about my age so I could enlist."

"Why would you lie?" I questioned. Rosalie and Alice settled around the table to listen.

"It was my dream to join," Jasper answered. "So, I did what I have to in order to join. Back in those days serving in the war was the greatest honor."

"Is that how you got changed?" I asked. I glanced at the others. They looked like they were trying not to pay attention.

"Yes," Jasper said. "I was riding back to camp when I ran into three women. Being a southern gentleman, I stopped to help. None of the women were in need of help. Instead she was waiting for someone to come by. Her and her two companions were vampires, though I didn't know at the time. They were looking for someone, someone special. Maria liked me, told me she hoped I survived, before biting me."

I gasped. After hearing Emmett's story, I assumed they were all changed because they were dying. But that woman, Maria, changed Jasper for no real reason. That woman took away his life for petty reasons.

"Why are you so angry Bella?" Jasper asked confused.

"She took away your life for selfish reasons," I exploded. "I thought... when I heard Emmett's story... I guess I assumed everyone was dying when they turned."

"That's Carlisle's policy," Rosalie said gently. "He only turns someone if they're dying. But Jasper wasn't turned by Carlisle."

"It's okay Bella," Jasper said softly. "My life is better now. My upbringing wasn't the best, but I'm happy now. All that pain was worth it." He smiled at Alice and I understood what he was talking about.

"Why are you so hesitant around me?" I asked him.

Jasper turned his attention back to me. "Maria and her companions were building an army. I was turned in order to help with that army. I'm not sure if she had a gift that allowed her to detect gifts in others or maybe she was just hopeful. Either way when she found out I could control the newborns; I became her second in command. Newborns are never more powerful than their first year. So, I would train the newborns and after their first year..."