Chapter 6

Bella POV

My brain was still trying to process everything Rosalie had said. She was a vampire. All of the Cullens were vampires. It was surreal. I still had so many questions about vampires, about how Edward had acted and more importantly how Rosalie was acting. All of that had to be pushed aside for the time being. Right now I had to focus on some of my other questions, like whether or not Emmett and Jasper were okay. Rosalie didn't seem at all worried about their safety. But I was, because if they got hurt it was my fault. They came to help protect me.

"Do you want to go see them?" Rosalie asked. I had almost forgot she was in the room even if it was her room.

"I... yes." Honestly, I didn't know if I did want to see them. A part of me was scared of them. The other part was scared for them.

Rosalie put her hand on my arm, sending shivers down my spine. I had no idea what that was about. I filed it away as another question I needed answered. "They're fine Bella. I promise."

She led me downstairs, back to the living room. The entire Cullen family was gathered in the living room, except for Edward. I wasn't sure if he was here or not and I wasn't eager to find out. 

"He's not here," Rosalie whispered in my ear. "Emmett and Jasper will explain."

We sat on the love seat furthest from the others. I looked at the two guys. They looked perfectly fine, dirty but fine. Both of their eyes were almost black. Emmett was smiling at me. Jasper looked like he was in pain but he didn't seem angry at me for putting him in danger. Alice, on the other hand, looked furious. I flinched into Rosalie's side. Jasper looked at me and cocked his head to the side. 

"Alice, darling," he said with the strange Southern accent that didn't fit in with the rest of the family. "Your anger at the state of our clothes is upsetting Bella. She thinks you are angry at her."

Rosalie's body seemed to vibrate beside me. I glanced at Alice and her face instantly softened. "Sorry Bella," she said. "I'm not angry at you. I just... I hate when pretty good clothes get ruined."

Esme sighed from her spot beside Carlisle. I guess this was normal. "Emmett, Jasper," Rosalie called. "Are you guys okay?"

I know she only asked for my benefit but I still appreciated it. "We are fine Bella," Emmett tried to assure me. He rolled up his sleeves. "See, no marks."

Jasper smacked the back of his head. I flinched. It was loud, like a baseball being hit next to my ear. "Even if you did get hurt she wouldn't be able to see it." Jasper turned his attention to me. "We are fine Bella. I promise."

Something about Jasper made me trust his words. It was like I knew he was telling the truth. "Jasper," Rosalie warned.

"Sorry," Jasper said with a chuckle. I looked between Jasper and Rosalie, confused by what just happened.

"What was that?" I asked looking back and forth between Jasper and Rosalie.

"My gift Bella," Jasper answered. "I can feel, and control, emotions. I wanted you to trust that we were okay so I gave you a little boost."

Emmett pulled something from his pocket and tossed it at me. I fully expected whatever it was to hit me, that was my luck after all, but I never felt it. I looked at Rosalie and she was dangling my keys from her index finger.

"Emmett, can you not throw things at the human in the room?" Rosalie growled.

"Sorry Bella," Emmett said sheepishly. "I wasn't trying to hurt you." I smiled at him. I never thought he would hurt me.

"Jasper," Carlisle said getting everyone's attention. "Why don't you explain what happened with Edward?"

"Of course, Carlisle," Jasper started. "As you all know Alice sent me when she saw Bella and Rosalie dying." I gasped. "Emmett followed me when he found out. When I got there Edward was getting ready to attack. He had already killed six humans and was working on the seventh." Esme sobbed beside Carlisle but I didn't see any tears. "He would have killed Bella. His emotions were... conflicted. The call of her blood was too strong. I could tell he didn't want to hurt her, not really, but he lost all control. I got him into the woods. Unfortunately, he hadn't snapped out of his bloodlust."