Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Look, Shannon, I'm on my way right now!" I groaned into my cell phone as I hopped off the city bus and rushed in the direction of my destination. The streets of Manhattan were crowded as always, and I found myself shoving people out of my path. I felt a bit guilty for my rudeness, but if I was late, my best friend, Shannon, would bite my head off. She and I were meeting at Dean and Deluca during lunch. The place had its ups and downs, but it was better than the poison they try to force down our throats at school. Besides, Shannon loved their sushi, but only God knows why.

"You better be! One of the waiters is eye raping me every time he stops by!" She hissed, and I stifled a chuckle. Shannon was a beautiful blonde with curves in all the right places, so her claim was most likely true. Almost every guy I knew had lusted after her at least once, and if not, then their eyes were on her sister, Hayley. Luckily for me, her beauty was powerless against me.

"Oh, please, you know your loving the attention. I bet you just smiled and winked, even though you know that you're with Damian." Shannon huffed but didn't reply, and I smirked. We're so close that we know each other's habits. I knew her like the back of my hand, although she isn't very hard to read.

"Stop smirking, Jasper. People will think your constipated." See what I mean?

"Whatever, Shannon. I'll be there in five." I promised. That promise was broken in a matter of seconds. I had intended to head straight to Deluca's when I became distracted by music. It sounded close and the song sounded familiar, so I stopped walking for a moment to listen. Instantly, I identified the beautiful sound as a violin. Curiosity clouding my better judgement, I wandered down Madison Ave. towards the music. As I neared the music, I began to jog. I ran right past Deluca's, and I prayed that Shannon hadn't chosen a window seat. If she did, I'd be screwed.

I finally found the source of the sweet music on 86th street, and my heart skipped a beat. Standing on the corner of Madison Ave. and 86th street was the most stunning boy I've ever seen. His blonde hair was a light vanilla and rested just above his eyebrows. Under his long, dark eyelashes, his eyes were shut and his lips were slightly parted. The boy was short, probably only 5"4, and he was a lean.

I noticed that he wore a worn trench coat with a large amount of buttons. I mean, there had to be at least 50 buttons on his collar alone. They were all different sizes and colors, starting at the collar of the coat and stopping at the middle of his chest. I couldn't help but wonder why he had so many.

A crowd developed and people dropped dollar bills into his violin case. Some people even dropped checks. He was so into his music that he didn't notice them. As he played, I admired how his fingers seemed to manipulate the instrument gracefully and skillfully. His skill suggested countless years of practice, but he looked younger than I was.

As he continued playing, I realized that he was playing Secrets by One Republic. By the way he was playing it, I didn't recogniz the song until he reached the chorus. He had put his own spin on it, and changed the way most of the lyrics would've sounded if it were played note for note. If you listened closely, you could tell most of what he played was formed from the original sound, but he had expertly hidden it.

At one point of the song, the boy sailed into a higher octave and the crowded applauded and whistled. This woke him from the trance he was in, but he never faltered. He just kept playing until he was finished. Once he finished, he smiled and bowed a little. As he came back up from his bow, our eyes locked, and I finally saw his eyes. They were large, midnight blue eyes that seemed to stare right through you. In his eyes, I saw depth. Then, my phone buzzed and the contact was broken. I hurriedly whipped my phone from out of my pocket and the violinist rushed to put his instrument away.