Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I started out my morning feeling like I was on cloud 9. Everything was settled for now and I had nothing to worry about. Hayley and I "broke up", Gale agreed to go on a date with me, and I looked sexy today. Ok, a little conceited but true. And a bonus was that my mom didn't suspect a thing. Things were looking great.

I hurried downstairs, making sure to check myself in the hallway mirror. Even though the date wasn't until six tonight, I wanted to look good before, since Gale would see me. I don't want Gale to see me looking sexy for our date and think I look slobbish on any other day. Weird theory, I know, but it was probably true.

 My hair was semi neat and probably as good as it would ever get. I wore a white dress shirt and black jeans with my same worn out shoes. I attempted to clean the parts that weren't scribbled on, but it didn't work so I left them alone.

I was halfway out the door when my mom pops out of freaking no where, wearing an orange apron and a sadistic smile. Her hair was in heat rollers and in one of her hands was a sharp kitchen knife. Talk about scary.

"Um, hi Mom." I said cautiously, slowly inching my way around her.

"Hi. Where are you going?" She asked innocently, but I was sure there was an alternative motive. She is never this calm.

"To school." I replied suspiciously. Where else would I be going on a Friday morning. My mom continued to smile, rocking on her heels. I gulped and felt behind me for my backpack. I had to get out of here.

"Where are you going after school?" She asked, trying to sound like a concerned mother. I didn't buy it. This is my mom were talking about. She isn't a very responsible mother, and if not for my dad, I'd probably be dead.

"To hang out with Shannon and Hayley." That was the story we had come up with, and if my mom called them, they would say I was there. Danny would be the one to answer the phone if she did call because Shannon can't be trusted with my secrets and Hayley is still mad at me, although I don't know why. The situation with Reyna was kind of her fault. All I did was ask her to help me. How was I supposed to know she was a lesbian?

"Really?" She put her hands on her hips and tapped her foot. I would've been nervous at the gesture, but it's hard to take her seriously in a fuzzy bathrobe and Homer Simpson slippers.

"Yes." I said slowly. Just then, my cell phone rang. YES! The caller I.D. said Sexylicious, aka. Shannon. She is always tampering with my contacts and messages.

"Hello?" I answered the phone.

Hey, on my way to school I stopped at Wal-Mart to buy First Response and I saw Gale walking to school and I was going to pick him up but Hayley is with me and you know my car is two seated plus he's your boyfriend, so go pick him up." Shannon rambled into my phone. I glanced outside the window and saw that is was raining.

"Alright, I'm going to-" I stopped. "Wait, why are you buying First Response?!" I yelled into the phone, ignoring the fact that my mom was trying to listen to my conversation. She wouldn't be able to hear anything anyway.

"Relax, it's for my mom." I sighed in relief. Shannon isn't too much of a free spirit to get pregnant. And she isn't responsible enough. "Now go pick up your boyfriend."

"Ok, ok, bye." I hung up and grabbed my coat before running out to my car. My mom kept calling me back, but I pretended not to hear her. Gale was a little more important than her weird questioning that I have yet to investigate.

The Wal-Mart wasn't too far from my house, so I drove to it and took the street towards our school until I caught sight of Gale walking in the rain. The only thing protected from the rain was his violin case and even though his thick button jacket appeared water resistant, his hair was wet. I pulled up next to him and rolled down my window.