Chapter 23

PLEASE, PLEASE read the author's note at the end. It's really important ;)

Chapter 23

Gale's POV

He is unbelievable, was my first thought as I smiled giddily, peeking out my bedroom window. There Jasper stood, in a tux, on my front lawn at seven o'clock, prom night, holding up a huge sign that read "Will You Go To Prom With Me?" Our friends stood behind him, holding dozens of colorful balloons. Speakers in the bed of Jasper's truck played my favorite song and the song we danced to on our first date, Wait by M83.

I had already known he was going to ask me, but he refused to do it until the day of. Something about wanting to stand under my window just to piss Tobias off. I was already wearing a tux with a light blue tie to correspond with Jasper's navy blue tie. I blew him a kiss and Jasper reached out, pretending to catch it.

"You guys are so cheesy." I heard Shannon say. I closed my window and ran downstairs, nearly knocking Tobias off his feet. Before I could escape, he caught me by the arm and dragged me backwards a few steps.

"I won't say anything," Tobias grumbled, "other than this. If you aren't home by midnight, I will tell mom you left and hunt you two down." My parents were out for the night, and I was still grounded, so the last thing I needed was to get in more trouble. I nodded and surprised him with a big hug.

I love you, Tobias, I signed once I had pulled back and he cleared his throat, shrugging.

"Yeah, yeah, well, I'm having a friend over so I don't want you hovering around us anyway." He said, scratching the back of his neck. I raised an eyebrow in amusement.

Tobias actually has friends?, I teased.

"Haha." He said, rolling his eyes. We both turned as the doorbell rang and I broke out into a grin. Tobias however, disappeared into my parent's room for a moment before returning with my dad's shotgun. He pulled back the pump with a click for effect. I rolled my eyes and pushed him away, going to answer the door. I swung open the door, prepared to launch myself into Jasper's arms, but was met with an unfamiliar face.

"Oh, um...hi." The boy greeted in a wispy, light voice, soft as a breeze. He spoke so quiet, I almost didn't hear him. His eyes were a stormy grey swirling with emotions, and his hair an inky black. He was dressed in a thin, oversized graphic tee, exactly like the one I saw Tobias wearing a few days ago, and a pair of gray sweats. His shoes were so old and worn, I could see the outline of his incredibly small feet. Occasionally, a shiver would rack his spine, and his arms were wrapped around his shoulders.

"Is...is this Tobias' house?" He asked just as Tobias appeared in the doorway, the shotgun still in his hand. And for the first time in God knows how long, his face lit up with a smile. Then it slipped into a frown as he looked the boy up and down.

"Oliver, Jesus, why don't you have something warmer on?" He exclaimed and, to my surprise, slid out of his coat and shuffled forward to cover Oliver in his jacket. Oliver blushed and looked away, shrugging.

"This is the warmest thing I have." He gestured towards his sweats. Tobias shook his head and led him into the house, completely forgetting the fact that I was leaving with the guy he hated late at night for more than four hours.

"You can borrow some more of my clothes." I heard him say. Oliver protested but Tobias shook it off, lazily throwing an arm around Oliver shoulder. And if I didn't know any better, I would've sworn Oliver leaned into my brother's touch. Stunned, I slowly closed the door behind me. Jasper approached me, looking just as confused.