Chapter 18

Chapter 18

 "Gale! Stop beating me!" I growled as Gale swiped my queen. Gale and I were sitting at the dining room table playing chess. He had almost all my pawns, a knight, and both my castle thingies that can only go in straight lines. He just shrugged and devoured another piece of pumpkin pie he and my mom made. I furrowed my eyebrows and thought hard before deciding to move my second knight towards Gale's king. Immediately, my dad tisked and smirked.

"What? What did I do! Was I not supposed to do that?!" I questioned and Gale grinned, capturing my last knight mercilessly. I groaned as my dad chuckled lightly. I threw him a dirty look.

"And you! You're supposed to help me!" I pointed at my dad.

"Now, now, Jasper. That's called cheating." He remarked nonchalantly, licked his finger, and flipped to the next page in his stupid smart people book, crossing his leg over his knee. I swear, my dad is one of the weirdest people I know. I can't say I'd be surprised if he was a spy or something. He's just so...normal. But my mom is so weird.

"Thomas!" My mom yelled from the kitchen." Can you help me? My hand is stuck in the sink again!" See?! Complete opposites. My dad nodded at us before closing his book and getting up to go rescue my mom. Gale smiled and began to put away the chess board and pieces.

I'm guessing you've had enough of chess for now.

"Yes." I muttered and glared hatefully at the box. Stupid game. Always letting Gale win. Gale placed the chess box back on the game shelf and let me lead him to my room. My parents are amazing and I'm glad they accept me, but they won't leave us alone. Or to be honest, Gale alone. My mom even had the nerve to invite over so she and him could go shopping. She spent hours having Gale critique her outfits and Gale had a blast. I endured the torture because Gale was happy but eventually I cracked and told her I'd never bring Gale back to our house if she didn't take us home. We made it back home in record time.

Can I talk to you about something...it isn't bad.

"No, Gale, you can't." I teased as we entered my room and closed the bedroom door. He rolled his eyes and pushed my shoulder. I laughed and plopped down onto my bed, switching on my tv. Gale climbed onto bed and sat next to me.

"Sure. What's up?" I asked and lazily skimmed through Netflix, automatically searching for a Disney movie. It's like my actions are on autopilot, Gale Setting, because every decision I make relates to him in some way. I finally settled with Hercules. Gale smiled and cuddled closer to my side, and gave me a small peck on the lips.

You don't have to put on a Disney movie. We can watch other movies.

"I know, but you look happier when we do."

I'm happy because you chose it for me. I like that you know me so well.

"I like knowing you so well." I replied and hugged him. "And I don't mind watching another Disney movie. Besides, I've never seen this one."

You were deprived as a child.

"Well it's a good thing I have you to show me what I've been missing all this time. So what did you want to talk about?" I asked, mildly distracted by his pinkie that was tracing swirly loops across my stomach, which had been exposed when I leaped into my bed. Gale shrugged and stopped tracing.

I wanted to talk about Thanksgiving, he signed. There's something I need to talk to you about Joss.

I nodded a little hesitantly. I hadn't told Gale, but I knew all about the Missing Child sign. Crystaline called me and told me all about the large note Joss gave him, which I'm sure was the Missing Child Poster and I'll definitely be chewing her out for that. Gale must have kept it from me so I wouldn't worry about the fact that his parents were searching for him, or maybe so I wouldn't get in trouble.