Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I didn't see Gale again until next Wednesday. Our school really isn't that big, so I have no idea how we hadn't crossed paths for a week. The only people who claimed to have seen him were people who shared the same class as him.

Shannon, Hayley, and I were walking around during lunch when we heard him. He was in the same place I first saw him last Wednesday, playing his violin. I didn't recognize the song he played, but he played it beautifully. A small crowd had gathered around him while he played, but he wasn't focused on them. Only his music mattered.

When we heard him, the girls began to freak out.

"Oh my gosh, is that him??" Shannon exclaimed, running towards the crowd. People snapped at her and grumbled as she pushed her way to the front. Hayley and I followed behind her, apologizing for her.

Shannon stood at the front, sizing him up. She looked at me and nodded.

"I approve." She said and I rolled my eyes. We stayed and listened until he finished playing. The crowd applaused and dispersed. I stepped forward and dropped five dollars into his violin case.

"What song was that? It was good." I said, and he shrugged and looked away. Shannon bounced forward and stuck out her hand.

"HI!!" She said with extreme enthusiasm. Gale's eyes grew wide and he took a step back. His step was so big that he almost fell. Instinctively, I caught his arm and pulled him to me. His face collided with my chest and I stumbled a little. He looked up at me and blushed, stepping away.

Hayley came forward and stared at him, saying nothing. He stared back at her. It was really awkward and Shannon cleared her throat and nudged Hayley.

"What's your name?" She asked. I was confused. She already knew his name. Gale looked at me and shrugged.

"He doesn't really talk." I said to Hayley.

That's because he's mute." Hayley said, throwing us all off. Gale looked surprised and then he started signing. Hayley signed back while Shannon and I stood there, dumbfounded. Hayley knew how to sign because their parents adopted a boy who was deaf. Shannon was supposed to learn to sign, but she didn't take the time to. Only Hayley knew how.

"How do you know?" I asked suspiciously, interrupting their conversation.

"When we ask him something, his first instinct is to sign. I noticed that his hands twitched as he began to sign, but stopped whenhe remembered we couldn't." Hayley said before signing with him.

"What did he say?" Shannon asked excitedly. Hayley paused for a moment while he signed.

"He wants me to tell you thank you for the shirt." She said and he nodded eagerly. He looked way happier.

"Why didn't tell me?" I asked and he signed to Hayley.

"Because I didn't want to be different." Hayley repeated for him.

"Is that why you wouldn't sit with us?" I asked and he nodded and signed to Hayley.

"That and I didn't know if you guys could sign." Hayley repeated. I smiled at him.

"Will you sit with us now?" I asked hopefully. It would work. Hayley could sign for him so we'd all be able to talk. He thought about it and signed to Hayley. She laughed and signed back. He turned to me and nodded.

Gale checked his watch and nodded down the street, signing to Hayley. She nodded and turned to us.

"It's time to go back to school." We waited for Gale to pack up his violin before we all walked back to school.