thirteen

Dixie

June

~~~

"You're staring at him again." Her friend said, picking up a french fry and dipping it in her ice cream.

Dixie snaps out of it. "I am not! I'm simply just gazing in his general direction."

"Then what was that look on your face?"

"What?" She asked. "What look?"

"You look a certain way when you see him. You look at him like you're staring at the night sky."

"And?"

Her friend looks up at her, blankly. "You love looking at the night sky."

And her friend was right, she did love looking at the night sky.

"It's just... I miss him, you know? I really miss him. The thing is, even if you begged me to forget all about me, I'd still remember every little detail. I made a huge mistake and I feel like I can't risk going back to him because I'm afraid he hates me."

"If he hated you, why would he make sure you got home safe and sound that one night on your birthday?"

Dixie sighed. "Because he's a nice guy. He wouldn't just leave me to sink into a drunken stoop."

"Whatever." Her friend says, shrugging. "Let me tell you, I've never seen two people love each other more than you guys. You'll make it back to each other."

She wishes she could have been more open with him when she had time. She wishes she had told him he was worth the Earth and the stars. She wishes she could have reminded him of it every day and night. That's the thing, you forget to remind people of how much they really mean when you still have the time.

"The reason you're having a hard time letting go is because you still hope he'll come back to you."

And yes, Dixie hoped, oh she hoped, for him, because she longed for his arms around her again, she longed to be breathing in his sweet scent and hoped for his blue eyes on her brown eyes again.