fifteen

Dixie

July

~~~

She found herself looking for him everywhere.

Every once in awhile, she thought she saw him, and was brutally disappointed when it turned out not to be him.

That's what she finds herself doing in a little restaurant sitting across from the boy she met on that one fateful day in January.

He's ranting on about something, but she can't hear what he's saying because she's too busy watching the windows.

"Dixie." His voice makes her look back towards him.

"What? Sorry.. I'm just.. Really distracted today I guess." Dixie apologizes, genuinely sorry.

He nods. "I can tell. What's on your mind?"

Dixie blushes and shakes her head. "Trust me, you don't wanna know and I don't really wanna tell. Tell me more about these complications with your mom."

He shrugs. "Okay. She hasn't contacted me in more than 2 years, and then all the sudden she shows up and asks if we can talk and says she needs to explain. Like what am I supposed to do?"

She thinks about it for a few seconds. "Well, you guys were close when you were younger, and I'm sure she had a good reason to leave your father. I bet she's loved you all this time, but she's been afraid to reach out because of how you might react. I think you should give her a chance."

A waiter comes by and asks if they need anything, and Dixie shakes her head, noticing the waiter definitely is checking out the boy she's talking to.

She takes a napkin and pulls a pen out of her bag and starts writing, getting a curious glance from her friend across from her.

"Hey, I notice you're checking out my friend across from me. He's single, and here's his number. Feel free to call him any time. You're beautiful, he's beautiful, you're perfect for each other." Dixie says, handing the young waiter her friend's number. The waiter blushes and her expression says she can't believe it.

Her friend gasps in shock. "Dixie!"

The waiter scurries away with the napkin in hand, still furiously blushing.

"What?" Dixie says, innocently, giving him a smile.

Her friend turns serious for a second. "You know, you give good advice."

"Well that was random, but I know."

"Maybe you should start taking your own advice." She looked at his hazel eyes in deep thought.

"What?"

"You always call people beautiful and fiercely mean it, but how is it that the most beautiful person doesn't realize that you're all those things and more?" He asks, curiously and seriously all at the same time.

Now it was Dixie's turn to blush.

And it was then that she heard the little ding of the bell on the front door of the restaurant go off, letting people know someone was either coming in or going out.

And when Dixie glanced up, she swore she saw the familiar brown hair heading out the door.

And that's when she got out of her seat and ran.