eight

___ sat in the living room alone, humming along to one of the openings of Naruto.

Eijiro was awake. His eyes were wide as he listened to her hums echo through his head. It wasn't exactly the dangerous mermaid song she'd warned him about, but this was... different. Yeah, ___ hummed a lot, but it never drove him crazy, not like this, at least, so why was it happening now?

He didn't sleep at all that night.

.......

"Morning!" ___ chirped as she smiled down at Katsuki. He groaned and rolled over.

"Katsuki," she said.

He groaned.

"Katsuki," she repeated.

"Hm? What is it ___?"

"___ leave in one sun, so she spend time with Katsuki."

"You're leaving? Wait- stop talking like that!"

"I go home. Mating season not safe for you."

"What? I thought you were staying."

____ nodded. "Only be home for five suns. Five days," she corrected herself. "Katsuki no worry." She poked his nose, then walked out of the room.

Katsuki walked out of his room. Eijiro and ___ were in the kitchen cooking.

"What are you two doing?" Katsuki said.

"___ and Eijiro make food! Fish, rice," she named as she pointed at the various foods Eijiro helped her prepare. "Egg, juice, plate!"

"Plates aren't food," Eijiro said with a chuckle.

Katsuki noticed how Eijiro's gaze lingered on longer than usually, or how he's watch her every movement as she accidentally dropped eggshells into the bowl.

"Eijiro," Katsuki said. "You okay?"

"I'm fine dude!" He said with a smile. Katsuki narrowed his eyes at him. Something was definitely off.

.....

Katsuki walked into the bathroom. ___ was sitting in the tub. She stared at him as he laid towels onto the floor. "Are you ready to get out?" ___ grabbed Katsuki's wrist and pulled him close to her. He slowly leaned in closer to her. Her gills flittered, then she licked his face, from his jawline, all the way up to his eyebrow.

"Oh gross!" He exclaimed.

___ growled, then she screamed and shedded her tail.

"Why'd you lick me?!" Katsuki exclaimed.

___ looked at him for a moment before she stepped towards him. Katsuki slowly backed up until his back hit the wall. She trailed her fingertips along his jawline and bit down on her bottom lip.

"Mating season," she muttered as she stood on her tippy toes. Her lips ghosted over Katsuki's, just barely touching his. "I must go."

Katsuki grabbed her wrist. "Don't," he muttered.

"Mating season not safe for you." She stared down at his lips, then pulled away. "I leave now instead of wait."

"You're leaving?" Eijiro popped his head into the bathroom.

"Not safe. ____ unpredictable and song can hurt, even if I don't mean to."

"Wait, really?" Eijiro said.

___ nodded. "Not safe."

"Don't go yet, we were supposed to spend the day together," Katsuki said.

"I be back soon," she waved off Katsuki and smiled. "Katsuki take ___ to the sea?"

Katsuki sighed. "Fine. Put on a shirt."

___ nodded and walked into Katsuki's room.

"Is it weird that I'm sad she's leaving?" Kirishima said. "Even if it's only for some days."

"Nah," Katsuki said. "I know the feeling."

"Bro, I think I need to tell you something."

"You think?" Katsuki said as he grabbed his car keys.

"Well, it's about-"

"I'm ready!" ___ exclaimed as she walked out in Katsuki's shirt.

"Good, let's go," Katsuki said. "We can talk later, Eijiro."

~~~~~~

Katsuki sighed as he stared out at the wide ocean. The sunlight reflected off the surface of the water. ___ looked over at him.

"Katsuki sad to see ___ leave?"

"Yeah," he muttered honestly. "Even if it's only for a few days."

___ leaned over and placed a kiss on his cheek. "Better for Katsuki's safety."

"I'm not afraid of you, ____," Katsuki said as he grabbed her wrist. "I know you won't hurt me."

____ shook her head. "Too dangerous. Unpredictable. Not safe for you or Eijiro."

Katsuki sighed.

"See you soon?" ___ said.

"See you soon," he said.

___ got out of the car and walked towards the shore. Katsuki watched her. The closer to the water she got, the tighter his chest got. She looked back at the car, then walked into the water, eventually disappearing.

Katsuki sighed and leaned back in his seat. "This is gonna be a long week."

~~~~~~~~~~

Katsuki walked into the apartment. He paused once he walked into the living room. The place was a mess. Clothes and other items were thrown all over the place, the kitchen was covered in food, liquids, and condiments.

"Oi! Shitty hair what the fuck happened here?!" He exclaimed as he walked further into the apartment.

"It won't stop," Eijiro muttered.

Katsuki found him crouched in a corner in the kitchen, tightly gripping his hair.

"Eijiro?" He said.

"I hear it," he muttered. "Her voice- her humming. It won't stop."

Katsuki crouched down and grabbed his shoulder. Once he did, Eijiro flinched and slapped his hand away. "Where is she?!" He snapped. "Bring her back! I need her!" He started throwing objects in his direction.

"Relax!" Katsuki exclaimed as he dodged the random appliances. "Eijiro!"

"____!" Eijiro exclaimed, then he collapsed to the floor.

"What the fuck?" Katsuki muttered as he stared down at Eijiro's unconscious form.