Chapter 8

Blood dripped down his palm, staining the wooden table once again. His thoughts wandered to the sight of seeing you sitting in the window, waiting for him. 

Did you like him? If you liked him then why did you not act on it? You knew his feelings for you well enough. 

But he remembered how your mouth popped open in surprise, how you scrambled to get up quickly. He remembered how the doors were flung open, his name a prayer on your lips as you jumped to embrace him, bloody clothes and all. He remembered inhaling your scent of Osmanthus petals, peaches and apricots, holding you close to him. He remembered seeing your face bury itself in the fur of his cape, whispering his name like he was your lover.

He wanted to hear his name on your lips again, filled with the same desperation and worry. He loved how you felt against his body, so small compared to him. 

So why did you try to reject him when all the things you did betrayed you to him?

Kaeya stared as he counted the droplets of blood, one for every life stolen. When the last drop fell from his palm, he turned that hand into the Abysmal claws for a second before transforming it back. The cut he made was sealed, the Abyss that lay dormant in him unwilling to let him be injured for long period of time. It hated him being injured in general.

Why do you spill your royal blood for people lower than you? They were peasants, they are merely nobody compared to you.

"I must repent, and if spilling my blood for every life taken will achieve my forgiveness, then so be it."

Oh pitiful, pathetic King. You need not spill your blood for the scum of Teyvat. They reaped the rewards of the Archons destroying your---our---home. They don't deserve your attempts at repentance.

"It keeps the nightmares at bay, the nightmares of seeing their faces glare up at me as they claw at me, telling me that I will never be forgiven. I feel their blood stain my hands, I hear them screaming my name, beseeching for the Archons to find me, beseeching Celestia to strike me down and steal my life. They demand my life, but I can't die, not yet. I have yet to fulfill my duty. So I fend their hunger off with my blood."

You have many admirable qualities, King. But they make you a fool. Take that woman you love so much and make her your wife. I don't care if you have to do it by force. Take her and mark her, make her yours. Bring forth heirs. And solidify your hold upon Khaenri'ah. 

"I will not take her by force. I will love her, but if she desires another over me, then so be it."

A growl rang out from within him.

Then court her properly you lovesick fool.

•☆▪︎▪︎▪︎☆•

You were working on your shields when the door to the courtyard opened. Shock worked onto your face when you saw it was Kaeya. Was he leaving to go somewhere again? 

He glanced over at you, a smile coming onto his features.

"Ah, there you are, my favorite snowflake. The prettiest of the bunch. Mind sparring with me? I'm afraid I have gotten rusty..." he said sheepishly, a light grin on his face as he scratched at the back of his head. The words seemed honest enough.

"Oh, I um... I don't use the sword..." you muttered, face turning red out of embarrassment. 

He laughed, fully and richly. The sound was music in the air, a welcome reprieve from the constant pounding of rain that had been relentless these past few days.