Chapter 12

Ice and lightning flew through the air, metal clanging as it clashed against each other. Sparks flew as Kaeya pushed back, ice coating his blade. He stared at the Shogun, stared into her violet eyes. They promised violence and death. 

He pushed the Shogun back, diving to the side when she came at him, her spear pointed at him like a lance. He rolled to his feet, nimble and quick. He felt the armor push at the surface of his skin, push painfully as it tried to protect him. He pushed it down, down. Not yet, he had to show that he could survive without it for awhile longer. 

The Shogun came at him again, lightning arcing for him as she dashed forward, spear aimed towards his heart. 

He parried it, throwing up a shield of ice. The electricity skittered off of the shield, barely missing him. Kaeya moved back, wanting some distance before he launched into his next dance. He formed spears of ice and shot them towards the Shogun without mercy, his supply seemingly endless. Dust rose up, the crowds murmurings reach his ears. However he knew in his bones that he had not won. A dead Archon would unleash their element in a brutal explosion.

The Shogun stepped forward from the dust, her spear gone. In her hands lay a sword, and the crowd whispered the same thing.

The Musou no Hitotachi.

He had heard of this sword. It was famous for wiping out many with one seamless strike. The Shogun's eyes opened, revealing blazing anger that glowed. He smirked. So this was her extent. Her true power. 

"It would appear you are an exception to Eternity. Exceptions must be wiped away," she said, her voice being that of a solid, firm, tyrant. 

She raised her sword above her head, dashed forward once again, intent on killing him. The killing blow struck forth, violet lightning arching through the clear cuts in reality, the clear slashes arching through the air where Kaeya stood. 

Kaeya heard only a pained cry as darkness consumed him.

•☆▪︎▪︎▪︎☆•

You watched as the dust settled, there being no sign of Kaeya. He was dead.

Kaeya was dead. 

He was gone. The Shogun's sword vanished from existence as she turned to face the crowd, absolutely no emotion on her face. You stifled a sob, tears streaming down your face as you buried your face in your hands. Someone hugged you from behind, whispering their apologies. You didn't hear them as you wept, your knees threatening to buckle and send you to the floor.

Kaeya was gone.

Your chest ached and burned, and you could feel the staring eyes as they looked at you with pity. They could only assume that you two had been close if you wept this much.

Many of them started leaving when the silence was broken.

"I do believe you missed, oh Almighty Raiden Shogun," a distorted voice purred. 

You looked up to see the source, eyes widening at the sight. Clothed in dark armor stood Kaeya, a crown adorning his head. A cape, the very same cape that you saw in your dreams, flew behind him like a banner. Power roiled and your own Hydro abilities seemed to quiver in fear before him. 

The Shogun turned and stared at Kaeya, a blink being the only sign of surprise.

He smirked as he floated there in the air, a solid presence. Light seemed to flee from before him, deathly afraid of the armor. His golden eye stood stark against the armor that crawled over his face. It felt familiar, the presence of that armor. You heard a voice whisper in your ear, it's drawl familiar as it raked its nails down your skin.