Chapter 16

That darkness felt eternal as you wept, the knowledge of Kaeya's past a heavy burden. Footsteps sounded from somewhere in the darkness, each footstep clicking against stone. You glanced up and stared, shock plastered on your face as you watched Kaeya saunter down a stone staircase.

He looked older, a crown floating above his head like a halo. A large navy blue cape fell from his shoulders and to the floor, a fur collar on the whole thing. His tunic was cut low, the v-neck having a deep plunge that didn't stop until it was just above his navel. But it was frilly and the sleeves puffed up the whole way down to his wrists. That eyepatch was no more.

He turned behind him and stretched out a gloved claw, the metal on his fingers clicking against each other. A delicate hand, your hand, you realized with a start, laid itself in those claws, those fingers wrapping around your own.

The scene expanded to reveal a grand ballroom, golden chandeliers glittering with moonlight and sending it scattering across the whole room. Men and women with horns and odd hair colors watched the scene unfolding above them on the balcony Kaeya stood on, with another you.

You glanced towards the one that could only be you, and noticed you too looked older. A blink and suddenly a hand was grasping yours, the metal biting into your fingers. It wasn't unpleasant, not with the gentle smile on your face.

Kaeya cooed softly in your ear. "You look absolutely ravishing, my darling wife. The goddess of my godhood, the ruler of my heart. A god is no god, not without a goddess beside him after all. You fill my sinning soul with joy, and it is filled with greater joy, now that..." he trailed off, his gaze going to your abdomen. He lay a hand on it, his fingers splayed across your clothed skin. "Now that we will soon have a bundle of joy in our home, in our arms."

Butterflies flitted through your stomach at the words, a dreamy feeling settling along your bones. Was this the future? If so, it was a lovely future, one you wanted to attain.

Kaeya looked so happy here, with you by his side, pregnant with his child, married to him till the end of time... yes... this was a pleasant future. He deserved this future more than anyone. Kaeya deserved this peace and quiet joy, after all he has suffered.

You vaguely noticed that Kaeya led you down the staircase, practically showing you off to the guests on the marble floor below, not entirely caring when your attention was caught by the outside scenery.

Mountains soared well into the sky, cradling the moonstone palace and city below. With a start, you realized... this was the city you saw in your dreams. The city that sprawled beneath its King, that sprawled beneath the castle that stood mightier than it all. The figure you saw in your dreams then... it could only be Kaeya that strode for you in them. You looked at Kaeya beside you, and found him smiling with an adoration that nobody ever had before.

You have after all dated around, but they never looked at you like this. Never looked at you like you were their world, their hopes and dreams. He almost looked lovesick. Almost. He pulled you close to him, pressing a kiss to your temple.

This was... such a lovely dream. It was too lovely to be true. It had to be a lie, which is was cause it was a dream, but this couldn't be the future. It was just your fever addled mind speaking nonsense to you.

Yes... it could be the future. If you wished it so. A voice hissed in your ear, phantom hands caressing your arms. Chills followed each stroke of those phantom fingers as the scene melted away, being replaced by another one.

A vast room opened up, revealing Kaeya standing alone in the large space. His gaze focused on a wooden bassinet in front of him as his fingers dangled inside it. A small chubby hand, as tan as their father's, reached up and clung to those fingers, squeezing as tight as those little hands would allow.