Chapter 15

It was cold. It was oh so very cold. But the bite of the cold was wonderful against your skin, which felt like it burned. You felt like you were on fire and this cold was the only thing keeping you from setting aflame. You vaguely heard your name being called, by a male. A wonderful male. 

You struggled to open your eyes, groaning at nothing in particular. A vague shape filled with blue obscured your vision, the faint sound of your name being called somehow reaching through the murky fog of deafness. Your hand fluttered up to touch that figure, meeting cold skin. Your eyes were too heavy to keep open, and you heard the frightened shout of your King before darkness swept in once again. 

•☆▪︎▪︎▪︎☆•

There were no stars in sight. Not one. The world was swallowed up in darkness, a darkness so thick it felt like water. Not a sound whispered in the air. Your eyes looked around, scanning the area. Nothing. Nothing beyond you and your body floating there. Weightless. You inhaled and exhaled, relieved to know you could breathe. 

Your tried to move your legs under you, watching as you curled them up beneath your body. You waved both arms in front and drew them back, in an imitation of swimming. You had a vague sense of moving forward. Blinking once, you repeated, and moved forward a little more. 

Figuring anywhere was better than this, you swam forward, to somewhere. Perhaps nowhere. You couldn't entirely tell. 

Voices slowly rose up from the endless depths, whispering things of the past and future. Of possible futures. A cold breeze wrapped around your legs like a cat, pulling you down, down, down into that darkness. 

Suddenly the scenery changed to a forest, a forest drenched in rain. Thunder rumbled off in the distance, the rain pelting the ground furiously. 
You watched as two figures, both of them cloaked in ratty and torn cloaks, dash through the forest. You saw mud splattered legs and boots, the adult tugging behind them a small child. The child couldn't have been any older than twelve.

"Come on now, we're almost there. Not too much farther," the adult muttered, clearly male. 

"Father... why do I have to spy on Mondstadt?" the young child, a boy, asked, clinging to his father's hand. 

They stopped close to where you watched, somehow not spotting you amongst the trees. You reached out to them, but where taken aback by your transparent hand. You had no physical body, not here. It was likely they wouldn't hear you, even if you screamed. 

You moved closer to them, watching as the man crouched down and grasped his son's shoulders. 

You gasped at the tan skin, at the dark-blue hair, akin to Kaeya's own. Blue eyes, both of them a wonderful, startling ice blue, peered from that hood and down at the boy. 

"My boy... my dear precious boy. Mondstadt is the only place you can be safe, and begin to bring back our home. It is close to Celestia. It's not the closest, but this place is the safest for someone like you. Here you won't be killed, here you won't be sacrificed for being who you are," the man whispered, putting his hands solidly on the child's shoulders. "You are a prince, a prince of a fallen kingdom. Bring back Khaenri'ah, do what you must. Lie, scheme, plot and kill, do whatever it takes."

The boy looked helplessly at his father, your heart aching for the boy. You moved behind the man, looking into the boy's face. Shock wrapped around your heart as a blue and gold eye silently wept. 

Kaeya.

Realization dawned on you, as you realized that Kaeya was abandoned here. Abandoned by his father.