Chapter 2 | meet again

Centuries later

***

Every day for the past 16 years, I'd walk along the shore with a small clear jewel around my neck and wait until the sunset reached its perfect placement in the sky before I'd raise the crystal to my left eye and look through it. The crystal reflected all the beautiful warm colours of the sun which transformed the clear jewel into an amazing colour animated allusion. I'd pull my eye away from the jewel and step to the side to let the colours reflect onto the white sand. When I rotated the crystal, the colours danced together which gave the allusion that the sand was a moving pool of colourful waves.

Then I'd practice my conjuration.
As the sun disappeared over the horizon, I'd walk back to my cabin while stopping every few steps to conjure a small effortless portal that led every time to a different room in my house.

I was maybe 60 feet away from my cabin when while conjuring a portal to the dining room I saw through it three familiar faces I wasn't expecting to see. Out of shock I closed the portal in the blink of an eye and darted in the direction of my cabin's front door.
Pushing the door open I came face to face with a very old friend.
Ikaris

"Y/N!" He exclaimed as he wrapped me in his arms. When he pulled away I could barely catch my breath. He looked me up and down for a moment before meeting my eyes again.
"You look good...healthy." He added as he cleared his throat.

"I hope you don't mind we let ourselves in." Sprite shouted from the other side of the wall.

"We came to-"

"What the hell is going on? Why are you three in my dining room without a warning?!" I exclaimed as I pushed past Ikaris and stormed into the kitchen where I found Sprite eating dates at my table and Sersi in the middle of the room.

"I thought you'd be happy to see us..." Sersi began as she stepped closer to me.

"Happy?!" I huffed.
"Yes...I'm happy but I didn't think I'd have you three as my guests any time soon." I fumbled over my words as I looked from one to the other.

"I'm sorry we came unannounced but we have some pressing matters to discuss." Ikaris explained as he leaned against the door frame.

"Eh...alright well...what is it?"
I asked as I swallowed my nerves and sat on the stool of my mini bar behind me.

"Sprite and I were attacked in London by a deviant, I was almost killed." Sersi begun.

"I'm sorry." She gave me a small smile before glancing at Ikaris and continued where she left off.

"Ikaris was attacked as well and so were others, the point is...the deviants are back and we think we know the cause."

My throat ran dry as the air in my lungs disappeared. I felt my head start to spin and heard Ikaris ask if I was okay but I couldn't find the words to answer him. All I could do was think about what Sersi had just revealed to me.

"The cause Y/N, is you." She hissed as she darted in my direction causing a scream from the pit of my stomach to emerge before I shot up in my bed.

Sweat dripped from my forehead and into my lap as I fought to catch my breath and calm my nerves.
When my breathing settled I looked out the window illuminating my room with the light from the moon and glanced
over at my alarm clock that read 1:47 am. My eyes found the window again and for a short moment my mind drifted off as I watched the calm waves wash over the white sand.

***

Dreams like these came almost every night and on the rare evenings that they didn't I still couldn't get any sleep for my mind wouldn't stop overthinking Sersi's words all day and night.

What if she's right?
What if I did open another portal that let deviants back into the galaxy?
But how?

For the last centuries, I've only been conjuring small portals to rooms in my houses.

I've been practicing portals that lead somewhere I know and not to another planet like I did millions of years ago, by accident.

It was a mistake, it was a mistake

I need to speak to them, I need to speak to Sersi.

***

I don't know how to find any of the Eternals but I do know that if a stay here waiting for them to find me I might as well hope that they'll be here over the next 100 years. I don't have that sort of time anymore.

Walking along the sidewalk in the town Yamba Australia I clutched to my backpack straps and forced myself to think of any clues the Eternals might have given concerning their locations. I don't even know if they are still all together, I haven't seen any of them in centuries-

"Magazine?" An elder woman walking down the sidewalk asked.

"Oh-no thank you." I declined as we inched closer to one another.

"Please take it, this young man knows who you are." She insisted as she pointed to a movie poster on the front page of the magazine.
My eyes grew wide when I recognized Kingo's face on the poster. I snatched the magazine out of her hands as she continued down the sidewalk behind me.

"Sprite?!" I asked as I spun around before she disappeared.

The elder woman paused in her track before she slowly turned and looked around her surroundings for any signs of curious eyes watching us. When the area felt safe she shape-shifted
back to the same teenage girl I knew since...well, since she was created.

"Y/N, we need to talk."

***

"Sprite would you please just tell me what's going on-"

"I don't have time to explain, stop asking questions!" She exclaimed as she led me to a small jet in the middle of a runway ready
to take off.
"Get on!" She shouted over the motor's noise as she impatiently waited for me to catch up to her.

"Who's jet is this?" I yelled over my shoulder at her as I doubtfully mounted the steps to the aircraft.

"It's mine!" Kingo shouted as he enveloped me in a bear hug when I turned my head back around which left me tense out of shock.
"Come, come in." He stepped aside to let me and Sprite walk inside before he slid the door shut and shouted for someone to take off. I watched Sprite slide past me as she grabbed a bag of chips from a table on the right side of the jet and flump on a seat at the end of the hall. My eyes met with Sersi's worried ones.

"You're here." She spoke with as much enthusiasm as she could manage before standing up from her seat next to Ikaris.

"And I don't know why, mind the explanation?" I tried not to let my confusion get the better of me as she glanced down at Ikaris for support, I suppose.

"Deviants are back Y/N." He spoke for the first time since we took off.

"I know." I mumbled as I brushed the tip of my nose with my knuckles. Ikaris frowned.

"How?"

"Were you attacked too?" Sprite asked from behind Sersi and Ikaris.

"No, I've had dreams..."

"Dreams?" Ikaris repeated with raised eyebrows as soon as the words left my mouth.

"Yes..." I clutched to my backpack strap and stared him straight in the eyes for a hard moment of tension. He knew something I didn't, not yet.

But I was going to find out whether he liked it or not.

***

Don't worry things are only getting spicier from here my friends 😏

I can't wait for Y/N and Druig's reunion 😫