Chapter 13 | emergence

***

Sersi, Makkari and I had nourished Druig with enough power for him to expand his energy field into a larger shield, feeding off my abilities to do so.
The volcano ceased to spit lava, slowing the emergence. Druig had done it. Now all there was left to do was keep the emergence under control and he was doing a fantastic job at that. Until I heard the sound of lasers and Druig's grunts. I didn't need to open my eyes to know Ikaris had come to sabotage our plan and most likely kill us all. Opening my eyes wide, I watched as Druig rolled over onto his side as Ikaris flew down to his level.

"Don't do this!" I screamed as he stumped his way over to Druig.

"I should've done this five centuries ago!" He ignored me as he gripped Druig by the neck and flew him into the air causing the energy fields around us to vanish and set up free.
I watched in terror as Ikaris strongly threw Druig towards the mountains before he used his lasers to burry him deep into the ground. Makkari wailed from behind me as Sersi covered her mouth with her hands but all I could do was stand there, fury coursing through my veins.
Ikaris flew across the sky until he reached the Domo and used his lasers to split it in two with Thena and Phastos inside.

"Y/N, watch out!" Sersi yelled as the vessel came crashing in our direction causing Makkari to carry us both out of the way.
Sersi fought to catch her breath as Makkari sped off to find the others.
"Wait, you can't go after him on your own!" Sersi exclaimed as I stopped in my track and hesitated for a moment before turning around to face her. Sersi's eyes widened at the sight of the furious facial expression I wore as my eyes glowed a bright yellow.
Makkari came back seconds later with Thena in her arms and then with Phastos.

"Where's Druig?" Thena questioned as she glanced over at me from behind Sersi.

"Druig's gone."
Spoke Ikaris from afar, causing the lot of us to turn in his direction as I fashioned energy shields around my fists.
"It's over."

"Nothing is over until I get rid of you." I spat as I used my energy to boost myself up into the air while expanding a larger shield around my entire being.

"You can't fight me Y/N. Your portals are useless against me."
He warned as he prepared to use his lasers against me.

"No...but she can." I spoke before Makkari rushed in his direction and carried him off towards the beach, crashing him into boulders.

I smirked to myself as I closed my eyes and let my body charge with maximum energy. When I reopened my eyes, I leaped forward and felt as my body was propelled into the air causing a satisfied laugh to escape my lips.
Some things were working out correctly after all.
I'd never tried to use my powers this way because portals were enough to defeat deviants. Now, however, I needed something more practical and manipulative energy was the perfect solution.

I couldn't resist the rush of adrenaline that coursed through my veins as I continued to propel myself higher and higher off the ground as I neared closer to Makkari and Ikaris but I took my time to let her have her moment with him.

All the strength and attention I was putting into propelling myself into the air caused my energy shield to rapidly weaken. When I heard the volcano explode from afar and bits of steaming hot boulders come crashing down on us, I couldn't restore the shield I once had to protect myself.

"Crap." I hissed after multiple failed attempts of conjuring portals to nowhere for the gigantic rock coming straight towards me.
"Where is Makkari when we need her." I mumbled as I made a run for it. Hoping that I would have the time to put as much distance between the impact and myself.

When the rock made contact with the ground behind me, I covered my ears and shut my eyes as I waited to be shattering into a million pieces. However, the sound of the explosion only faded from there on.

Strange

Opening my eyes, I came to the realization that I was no longer near the flaming hot boulder but instead on the beach with Makkari and Ikaris.
Makkari had fallen down on the floor beside me as Phastos and Thena took over the fight with Ikaris.

"Makkari, what's wrong?" I questioned, in a state of both panic and confusion.

"Help Thena and Phastos, I'll recover." She signed quickly as she raised herself onto her elbows.
Just as she said, I turned around and darted into Ikaris's direction, only one goal in mind.

Make him pay for what he did to Druig.

***

"Thena! The emergence!" I shouted as I came rushing into the cave she had followed the deviant into moments ago.
I noticed the downcast expression that hug over her like a cloud as she walked right past me and watched Tiamut slowly emerge from the ocean.
"What happened?" I asked after a moment of silence and observation. Our plan hadn't worked and Tiamut was stronger than ever now.

"We failed." She bolted out as she tried to hold back tears. I could tell that she had seen something in that cave that she didn't want to admit.

"Nothing is definite..." I tried to reassure but deep down, I knew there was nothing either of us could do to stop this now.
Suddenly a wave of energy washed over us causing the two of us to drop to our knees and fight to regain our breaths.

"What was that?" She groaned as she raised back up to her feet, despite still being out of breath.

"Ikaris." I uttered as I looked across the beach where I barely caught him fly up from the ground and speed off out of sight.
"He's going after Sersi! I have to help her." I mumbled more to myself than to Thena. Before I could run off she gripped my forearm and tilted her head in defeat.

"It's too late."

"But I can still-"

"It's up to her now, we need to keep our strength for when she needs it." She insisted as she let my arm go. I looked at the spot behind me where Ikaris had been chained up minutes ago one last time before falling into Thena's embrace.
"Shsss, hush now." She mumbled as she caressed my back and laid her head on top of mine.

"He killed him Thena..." I sobbed as the realization of never seeing Druig came rushing back.
She didn't answer and instead squeezed me against her harder as I continued to cry into her shoulder. Now, we had both been through the same kind pain. Nothing hurts more than this, nothing.
I didn't know this, but she was also shedding tears.

I was convince that this moment would exhaustingly last forever until I felt myself pull away from her and her protection as energy fields were created around us both. Our energy was drained out of our bodies and sent to Sersi across the island where she froze Tiamut with her bare hands.

***

Sorry for the holdup, I've been crazy sick all week🥴

So so so excited for the reunion🥳