Chapter 12 | pressure

***

"Why did Sprite go with Ikaris?" Makkari signed. I didn't look up at her, my eyes were fixated on the hall Ikaris and Sprite had left through minutes ago.

"Because she loves him..." Kingo interpreted as Druig ran his hands up and down my shoulders from behind to try and release the tension I had been accumulating over the past hour.
"Oh, you guys didn't pick up on that? He really fooled us, didn't he?" Kingo was on the bridge of tears and no one could speak up to reassure him, we were all on the edge of a bridge, just not sharing the same one. I swallowed what little anger I could compress as I turned around and walked past Druig, not being capable of being around anyone's presence.
Mostly because I didn't want to lash out at someone. I felt sick to the stomach just thinking about the reality of what was at stake right now. Everything was giving me a headache and if someone just as rolled their eyes at me, it would probably burst the bubble of anger I was desperately trying to contain.
"Karun, let's go." Spoke Kingo causing me to peer at him from over my shoulder.

"Wait, where the hell are you going?" Asked Phastos as I completely turned in their direction.

"I can't help you guys. I still think Ikaris is right." Kingo blurted out.
Of course he does, he trust the man more than himself.

"So that's it?" I huffed as I raised my hands in the air.
"You're just gonna follow him? After what he did to Ajax and Gilgamesh?" I spat as I furiously walked towards him causing Druig to put his arm out in front of me to stop me from doing anything I'd later regret.
"I'm not your dog Druig, you're gonna have to put me on a leash if you want to contain me." I hissed as his arm made contact with my stomach causing him to squint his eyes at me.

"You're not thinking straight."

"You're in my way." I snapped as low as possible, rage practically radiating from the death stare I sent him.

"Hey, hey, hey!" Kingo interfered as he motioned to Druig to put his arm down.
"I love the people of this planet, believe me. But if you stop this emergence you are preventing so many other worlds like this one from being created." Kingo described his point of vue.
"I still have faith in Arishem but I refuse to hurt any of you for my beliefs..." he added and he glanced over at me. I clenched my jaw before he advanced towards the exit.

"We need you!" Exclaimed Makkari as she gripped his shoulder before he could walk past her.

"Even with my help, we're no match...it's Ikaris." The pain in Kingo's voice was clear to the ear.
"...but I hope to see you on the next planet." He finished before committing to his decision and fully leaving the room causing Phastos to raise his arm in disbelief.

"Thank you for all you've done, for humanity." Karun spoke in Hindi. Luckily for us, Ajax had obligated every last one of us to learn as many languages as possible.
"It's been a great honour." He sniffled as I raised my chin to straighten my posture.
"I will miss you all." He added causing Druig to nod at him in gratitude, from the corner of my eye, as we watched him follow after Kingo.

"Look..." Druig began as he stepped further into the center of the room.
"If I'm gonna get myself killed going up against Ikaris, we'll need to have a backup plan."

"All of our powers, even if they're amplified are not enough to kill a Celestial, so-"

"Well Sersi did turn a Deviant into a tree and Y/N disintegrated five."

"I'm sorry, what?!" Phastos glanced from me to Sersi with his brows raised,
"You didn't wanna tell me that?"

"You've never been able to do that before." Makkari signed to Sersi as I leaned against the table with my arms crossed over my chest.

"I don't know how it happened, okay? And I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it again." She spoke, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Well now is the time to try, don't you think?!" Phastos pressured out of nerves.

"Phastos, that deviant is dead, our plan is to put Tiamut to sleep not kill it! I can't kill a Celestial!"

"Sersi, Sersi-"

"We can't!" She snapped as I bit my bottom lip out of frustration and glanced up at the ceiling.
"We can't..."

"It's okay Sersi..." Druig began as I turned my head to the side to look in his direction,
"I got this." He reassured as she nodded in gratitude before he glanced at me as I sent him a glare and tilted my head to the side.
Sersi was quick to leave the room without another word as I exhaled deeply and watched Makkari walk towards me from the corner of my eye.

"You disintegrated five deviants at a time?" She questioned as she placed herself in front of me.
"How?!"

"A portal to nowhere." I plainly responded, not in the mood to talk about anything concerning portals.

"How did you get face to face with five deviants." She emphasized the five as she widened her eyes at me.

"She let them through." Druig spat. After the way I treated him over the past hour, I could understand why he wanted payback.

"Let them through? As in with a portal?!" Phastos almost jumped out of his skin at the mention of letting deviants use my portals as an entrance to the planet.

"Yes Phastos, I let them through again, for Christ's sake." I hissed more to myself than to anyone in the room as I secondly retreated out of the lab. In search of some peace and quiet to clear my mind.

***

Thena was standing in my room, filling me in on what I had missed over the past hour and to no one's surprise, Phastos had come up with a solution to activate to Uni-Mind.

"Bracelets?" I repeated as I cocked an eyebrow at her and shut the door behind us.

"Yes, bracelets. We don't have much time." She informed as she led us to the bridge where we all gathered and prepared ourselves for what lies ahead, physically and mentally.
Phastos gave us each a bracelet to add to our gear that would later be used to activate the Uni-Mind as Thena had explained earlier.
Phastos also added that Druig would be the one to accumulate all our strength and then use it against Tiamut but to do so, we'll all have to be motionless to give him the chance to properly gather our powers, which was the part of the plan I was the least looking forward too. I have no intentions of sitting out on this fight. Today's battle was more personal than the previous ones against alien threats, this one was against family, against nature.

"Y/N, don't let your emotions blur your judgement," Makkari advised as she came up to the large widow I gazed out through.
I glanced to my right at her but had no intentions on responding with a verbal reply as our eyes met.

"It's time." Thena instructed.

***

Makkari carried Sersi, Druig and I outside, one by one, as Thena and Phastos stayed behind to deal with Ikaris.
There was no way of knowing what Sprite was going to do but the best we could do was hope that she wouldn't sabotage our plan. I let go and Makkari as she carried me lastly outside to meet with the others and moved to stand in between both Sersi and Druig as I widened my eyes at the sight of the volcano in fort of us.
I felt Druig's eyes on me as he slid his hand into mine and squeezed it until I turned my attention to him and not the exploding volcano that was most likely going to eat us alive if this plan didn't work.

"It's gonna work." He reassured. All I could do was look at him and hope that he was right about this.
Letting go of my hand, he gave me one last reassuring nod before we all reached for our bracelets and activated them one by one. Yellow energy fields surrounded the four of us as we all closed our eyes and let the energy flow through our beings to strengthen Druig.

This better work

For Ajax and Gilgamesh

***

I apologize for the delay you guys, school and work are absolutely draining me right now but I'm slowly getting back on track, I think:)

Also if yall want to check out my TikTok account it's @valhalla_vikings 😉