Chapter 3 | conflict

***

"No one ever wonders how you managed to be leading man for over 100 years?" Questioned Sprite as I looked up from the magazine she gave me hours ago.

"Oh, I don't know what you're talking about!" He protested as I looked from Sprite to him in confusion.
"That is my great-great-grandfather, that is my great-grandfather, grandfather, father and me." He explained as he pointed to each poster on the wall behind himself.
"I'm part of the greatest dynasty in the history of Bollywood! Pretty impressive right?-"

"You abandoned me in Macedonia!" Sprite hissed at him from beside me which caused me to close my magazine for I knew things were about to get heated between the pair.

"Okay...I got sick of moving every five years, people freak out when they notice that you don't...age..."
Kingo elaborated very carefully as he sent me glances along the way.

"I thought we were friends."
Sprite added. She's a long way away from accepting his terrible attempt at an apology.

Kingo swallowed a lump in his throat before he waved his cameraman away and sat in the seat in front of Sprite and I.
"Do you know why I love movies?"
He asked after a stretch of silence.
"Because of you..."
She glanced up at him instead of the window she distracted herself with. "...I missed sitting in the audience, listening to your stories, watching your illusions."
He added before he let his eyes drift to the floor in deep thought.
"We should've all stayed together..." I looked up at him as an uncomfortable feeling settled in the pit of my stomach.
"Ajax should have never sent you away..." he glanced up at me as I swallowed back the urge to tear up in front of them both.
"...she should have never let any of us go." He finished before he left Sprite and I in a bubble of reconsideration.

I wanted to believe Kingo's words, to believe that we could have continued our journey all together as a family but deep down I knew that if we had stayed together, if I had stayed, there would have been more chaos than peace.
All of their suffering was because of me, because of that stupid mistake I made centuries ago.
And because of me, these deviants have returned because I created a new portal without even being aware I was doing it this time.

All I want is for Sersi to explain everything she knows about the deviants so that way I can properly erase them from the face of this planet once and for all.
Properly erase my mistake.

"Hey Sprite?" I almost startled myself after the peace and quiet we were having.

"What do you want?" She groaned, never taking her eyes away from the window on her left.

"What happened after I left...did he...why did...what happened too-"

"Druig?" Sprite interrupted as if she already knew what I was going to ask her. I closed my gapped open mouth and hesitantly nodded to let her know that she had correctly read my mind.
"You still care about him?" She questioned even though I'd already asked her something else.

"Why wouldn't I?" I frowned as she shrugged and filled her mouth with chips.

"He got mad, really mad." She explained.
"But not at Ajax for sending you, he got mad at you." She added which created a lump in my throat.
"If we find him, he might send you away for good." Sprite added before she fell silent. Leaving me in the worst state of mind I possibly could be left in.

Shit

***

"This is the deviant you fought in London?" Kingo motioned to the biggest deviant Id ever seen. It appeared to have mutated from what I could tell.

"It's different, there must be more out there than we thought." Said Ikaris as I mentally cursed myself.

"Is this a deviant sir?" Kingo's cameraman asked as he approached the lifeless creature.

"Yep!" Kingo enthusiastically answered as I stopped next to him and Karun.

"It's a beautiful creature." The man giggled in fascination as I snorted under my breath.

"What? This? No it's hideous, you've never had one try to bite your head off." Procrastinated Kingo as he and Karun trailed behind me.
"You're about to meet two of the greatest warriors the world has ever known." He informed the camera as if these clips were ever going to survive long enough to tell the tale.
"Thena, legendary, fashionable..."
He thought about other values the woman had besides being-

"Deadly." I added as I jumped into scene besides Kingo.

"And her trusty friend...door."
Kingo mumbled the last word as he indicated his cameraman to film the door.
"...a mighty powerhouse of strength, the fearsome Gilgamesh!" He exclaimed as Ikaris knocked at the door.
"Gilgamesh!" Kingo repeated when no one answered the door. Seconds later Gilgamesh swung the doors open revealing himself wearing a flowered printed apron.

"What took you so long?" The six foot tall male we all hadn't seen in years fussed, and I couldn't blame him. He waved at the camera in attempt to tell Karun to stop filming but that didn't faze the man.
"You look younger today Sprite."
Gilgamesh mocked as he walked past the seven of us.

"I have the same apron." Karun confessed which caused Gilgamesh to look at him with a questioning glare.

"Who the hell are you?" He asked as he neared his outside kitchen.

"I'm Karun, Kingo's valet."

"Oh, valet like Alfred in Batman."
Gilgamesh ridiculed the poor man without him even knowing it.

"Gilgamesh, the deviants are back." Ikaris informed.

"No shit, I could have used some help."

"We were attacked by a deviant in London too." Sprite explained.

"Even Ikaris couldn't kill it."
Sersi added which obviously caught the man's attention.

"You couldn't?" Gilgamesh cocked
an eyebrow at the man he practically considered the strongest.

"I was distracted." Ikaris defended himself as he pulled his glare away from Sersi.

"Sure man." Gilgamesh giggled causing a smirk to crack up on the corner of my lips as I raised my sunglasses to the top of my head.
"Hey you guys wanna try my pie?"
He questioned as he pulled his pie out of the oven. When no one answered, I stepped forward to look at all of them with frowned eyebrows and the sensation of worry in the pit of my stomach.

"I'm sorry guys." Ikaris spoke as he looked from Gilgamesh to me.
I felt my stomach drop when he spoke those three words.
"Ajax's dead." He added as a wave of sorrow washed over us. Gilgamesh dropped his pie on the floor and for a moment I thought I was going to sob in front of everyone but nothing came out, not a single noise. No emotions were visible on my face and Ikaris was quick to notice.
I only met Ikaris eyes before I walked past everyone and left them all to disgust the matter without me.

I needed time alone to contemplate the death of the
most important person to me.

***

This chapter is shorter but it just made sense to cut it here, sorry guys 😬