Chapter 4 | witted

***

The sun had fallen over the horizon long ago. A small breeze had picked up since I first sat down on the familiar Australian desert ground with my back pressed up against a tree.
For hours I sat there, not a single thought crossing my mind except for the last few words I spoke to Ajax the day she guided me away from her and our family. But I could never hate her for it. She was only trying her best to protect both me and everyone else.

"I'll never be that person again."

I kept repeating to myself as if I was trying to engrave the words into my mind permanently until my eyelids became too heavy and sleep took control over my hipper active consciousness. I thought I could stay there for forever with only my voice to startle me awake until someone else's did.
Her voice was so gentle and soothing that I could have practically fallen right back asleep if she'd started singing a lullaby.
Her hand gripped my shoulder which firmly signalled to my brain that someone was here to wake
me up and not sing me back
to sleep.

"Wake up Dottie." Only one person ever called me that and I didn't know just how much I needed her with me at the moment until I opened my eyes.

"Thena."

"Hello, Dottie." She smiled brightly before her arms found their way around my shoulders leaving me with no other choice than to hug her back.

Maybe this was the reunion we all wanted, needed.

"What's going on?" I asked her when I noticed the Eternals trailing behind one another in direction for Kingo's jet.

"We're leaving...now." She answered as she pulled me up to my feet.
"We're going to find Druig."

"Druig?!" I whirled my head to the side to look at her as she smiled at herself while patting circles on my back as we walked to catch up with the rest of the group.

"Yes." She simply answered with the same calm smile plastered on her face. She was acting too calm about this topic for my liking.

"I'm not ready to see him, not yet, it's too early-"

"It's been 300 years Y/N, you're going to have to face him one day or another." She assured me as she covered my hands with hers and smiled directly at me this time.

"He hates my guts..." I mumbled more to myself than her.

"Nonsense! For all we know he might be willing to accept you back into his life." She carried on as we watched the Eternals enter the jet from afar.

"Might." I repeated the single word that carried to much doubt.

***

The Amazon

I'd always wanted to visit this place over the centuries I spent on this planet but now that I know that Druig hides somewhere in these vast forests I rather visit somewhere else, somewhere far, far away from here.

I can't go out there...

"I can't go out there..." I mumbled unintentionally out of anxiety.
"I can't do this!" I snapped myself back to reality as everyone turned around to face the jet where I stood at the bottom of the stairs with my nails cutting into my palms.